I Forge Iron

Looking for a smallish anvil in the NYC area

Ideally in Westchester County somewhere. I'd rather not pay more than $200 to $225 for it, as I'm rather poor. I'm not terribly picky about the weight (can anyone give me a concise description of how weight affects what you can work, other than size of the working surface?), something between 40 and 100 I guess. I'm new at this, just sort of muddling around on my own.

Ideally in Westchester County somewhere. I'd rather not pay more than $200 to $225 for it, as I'm rather poor. I'm not terribly picky about the weight (can anyone give me a concise description of how weight affects what you can work, other than size of the working surface?), something between 40 and 100 I guess. I'm new at this, just sort of muddling around on my own.

It's not a case of what size you can work, but the relative ease of working them.

Try this thread:

Monster Anvils - I Forge Iron

Although it's not quite about that topic, it might answer your question.

Any big old hunk of iron will suffice as an anvil if you set it up right. it does not have to be fancy, flat and heavy will do the trick. Small piece of Rail Road Track, scrap yard finds, or plates bolted together can all make a servicable anvil of sorts. Just be creative and have your buddies keep their eyes open for stuff you might want and follow through when you hear about something.

Good luck with your hunt.

Peter

Well right now I'm using a baseplate from a railroad track. It's been doing a good job but it's getting a bit dented which is annoying as I do primarily knifesmithing and I like a nice, flat blade. Also I'm finding having a horn would be really useful because I wanted to make a doorknocker.

Ah Knifemaking! May I commend to your attention http://www.marco-borromei.com/fork.html

And no one will argue that forklifts are not endemic to that area!

As for horns I found a RR spike driver that I mounted on a 3" shaft to make a double horned stake anvil---I just forged the shaft down into a tenon and hot riveted it through the eye of the RR spike driver and then forged a spike on the other end to go into a stump.

I have since found a bunch of other weird sledge heads suitable for doing this with; now to access a powerhammer and do a bunch more!

Forklifts are in general use all through the united states and especially along the coasts.

That particular one I found in OH where a factory had pushed an old forklift over a bluff face and onto it's spoil pile. (The mate to that one is in my scrap pile here in NM)

Have you though of checking the yellow pages for a forklift repair place and ask them about getting a damaged tine to use as an anvil? Tell them you would be overjoyed to have it cut at the bend to make sure it couldn't be used as a fork tine again---liability issues. Offer to pay scrap price and add a couple dozen doughnuts to the deal.

Even googling Westchester County NY Forklift repair seems to turn up a number of places to try.

Since much of blacksmithing is done with archaic or improvised/home made tools it helps if one strengthens their abilities to think "out of the box" when dealing with such problems (Or why in NM do I need to help you find stuff in NY?)

I'm down on LI I have a few anvils but I'm looking to get a bit more than what you are looking to spend. I do have some fork lift blades and all sorts of steel bits. I am about an hour-15 or so from you. I'm not really looking to take on any more projects right now but If you have the will I can provide a way.
Tim ;)