I Forge Iron

Ooooooo, Vintage and a Vulcan no less. Every Blacksmiths dream (nightmare).

I shouldn't say nightmare. However $800 for a 150# Vulcan would cause me to wake up screaming if I thought I had bought it. I'm sure that someone will buy it and be just as happy as a clam so good for them.

A lot of ads are written like snake oil sales sounding very promising if not downright misleading. "Vintage" really? According to Websters dictionary Vintage means: length of existence : age

The words "Absolutley beautiful" are used three times and "Beautiful" 2 more times. I think he/she has some sentimental attachment to it.

Mark <º)))><

Ooooooo, Vintage and a Vulcan no less. Every Blacksmiths dream (nightmare).

I shouldn't say nightmare. However $800 for a 150# Vulcan would cause me to wake up screaming if I thought I had bought it. I'm sure that someone will buy it and be just as happy as a clam so good for them.

A lot of ads are written like snake oil sales sounding very promising if not downright misleading. "Vintage" really? According to Websters dictionary Vintage means: length of existence : age

The words "Absolutley beautiful" are used three times and "Beautiful" 2 more times. I think he/she has some sentimental attachment to it.

Mark <º)))><

Yep. I call such people "dreamers". They dream that they have a piece of gold and loathe the thought that a buyer might get a bargain.

I sold a similar 100 lb Vulcan anvil in one day for $200. That's because I asked a realistic price (and the fact that the anvil cost me $65). My buyer got a good deal, which does not bother me in the least.

So this 150 pounder, being in a better condition, and with better poundage, might actually be worth $400 or so.

i

''So this 150 pounder, being in a better condition, and with better poundage, might actually be worth $400 or so''

Not so...........$400 is closer to reality but still way too much. You did well to get $200 for yours and the buyer did ok................B)

Last time I had a 100# New Vulcan---never been hit as far as I could tell, still had a hardware store sticker on it---I sold it for a bit over US$1 a pound.

They are a "fair anvil" pretty much the lowest tier of "real" anvils rather than ASOs and are *quiet* a good thing for suburban smiths. I would happily suggest one as a new smith's *first* anvil if it was at a decent price for what they were getting.

However they are not rare at all! They were the most common anvil used by schools in their shop programs and I've seen and passed on a large number of them just in Columbus OH when they sold off their metal shop stuff.

Sometimes this type of add is designed to lure the clueless into tossing their money away---like a wife wanting to buy her husband a special Father's Day gift and *believing* the hype and so buying a low quality anvil for a top of the line anvil price. (often adding injury to insult by eating up the budget for other tools at the same time!)

(After this happened to a friend of mine my wife and I made a pact that we didn't buy each other items in our respective hobbies *without* having them vetted by the receiver *FIRST*; not as many pleasant surprises but NO fiascoes either!)