I Forge Iron

Holiday smithing time, straight pien hammer...

Feukair

I was able to spend some time smithing over the holiday. Here's some of the "successful" things I did...

I needed a straight peen hammer and had an extra 3lb slege hammer head so i tapered one end down into a straight peen and fashioned it to a handle that I turned myself from a piece of hickory.

straight_pien_before.jpg straight_pien_after2.jpg straight_pien_after1.jpg straight_pien_after3.jpg

L

Most Smiths consider a sledge to start at 6 lbs. That 3 lber would be called a double face or Engineers Hammer.

Err... yeah, i was wondering exaclty what it was called, settle on sledge.... Baby sledge did cross my mind but I probably woulda taken more heat over that...

Thanks!

Hey all, i got to use the new hammer i made this weekend. Couple things... i like the straight pien alot better than the cross pien for drawing steel. But I don't reall like the round handle i gave the hammer, i know now why hamers have an oblong cross section... so you can tell by the feel of it which way it's pointing as you swing... i kind of bounced from side to side if i didn't pay close attention to how i was holding it. I can trim the handle down with a draw knife...

I also practices Hofi's hammer technique a little, trying to let the hammer bounce back off the steel as you strike it to help on the up-stroke, I'll have to practice that alot more but I can see how it makes the swings easier.

Thanks!
L

Ummm... no... I'm new to wood turning too, havent done very much so i didn't know about off center turning. I just did some searches for all kinds of variations of off center turning and lathe and whatnot but i cant find an article or picture that shows you you would mount something to turn handle or table leg or anything like that. Do you have any links? Would off-center turning allow me to "finish" the handle on the lathe without haveing to shape it more later?

I had my son help me with forging the pien, we have a large set of tongs that worked well for grabbing the hammer head and held them strong. The are about 4 feet long and very heavy, someone gave them to my brother and he gave them to me, much to heavy for one handed forge use, they must have been from a foundry or something. Anyways, my son held the hammer head on the anvil at an angle while I beat it with a big hammer using both hands. Took us about six heatin's and beatin's to get the shape...

L