I Forge Iron

Blacksmith demo laws

I am looking to do my very first blacksmithing demonstration, in conjunction with a shopkeeper who has been selling my work for me for a while now. He also organises arts and crafts fairs, and has asked me to participate and do a blacksmithing demonstration at his next craft fair.

Thing is, I have never done a demo before, and I was curious about the legal and health and safety concerns relating to it. Should I be worried about insurance? In what ways could I potentially get myself in trouble with this? How do I ensure that the guy helping me out is not in any legal risk either?

I should point out that I am a UK resident, so it is UK law that I am concerned about.

I am looking to do my very first blacksmithing demonstration, in conjunction with a shopkeeper who has been selling my work for me for a while now. He also organises arts and crafts fairs, and has asked me to participate and do a blacksmithing demonstration at his next craft fair.

Thing is, I have never done a demo before, and I was curious about the legal and health and safety concerns relating to it. Should I be worried about insurance? In what ways could I potentially get myself in trouble with this? How do I ensure that the guy helping me out is not in any legal risk either?

I should point out that I am a UK resident, so it is UK law that I am concerned about.

Most Craft shows in the UK require you to carry public liability insurance for a minimum amount £2,000,000 this may vary with each show.

There are also conditions attached to that insurance, minimum distance for public to be near to forge/anvil etc

Health and safety concerns may be regulated by the shows themselves as they usually have their own "officers" present.

Location of pitch can also be a problem, depending on your kind of set up, and the adjacent stands and surrounding area.

You should be able to get a copy of what is required from the show organisers.

Hope this helps, we do many shows, and there are always guidelines and rules to be followed which can vary from show to show.