I Forge Iron

hight of lower die help

Hello

after a long long waiting time looking at my air hammer and working my behind off building my workshop with lots of unwanted stops and hindrances over the past year or more, I have finally come close to completion of the whole shebang.

SO, now i am in doubt about what hight i want my working hight of the power hammer to be and well here i am asking all you who "knows" what hight should i aim for top of lower die

it is a 1CWT(55kgs) Pilkington air hammer
i have been thinking the 90cm would be good but is the far off ? i am 1,91meters tall

how high is your lower die and how tall are you?

Also all them fancy epoxies you can get for fastening bolts into cement/concreet would that be a bad direction to go for bolting down the hammer to the base? it would make installing it a whole lot easier
it will be 4 big (27 or 32 mm bolts)
between the hammer and the cement foundation will there be 9inch pine wood blocks strapped together and i cant lift the hammer in any way once it is over the foundation and it weights 2 tons.

thanks in advance for any help / pointers

Regards Daniel.

PS this is a pic of the hammer My link

I like belt buckle height myself, or try holding a bar on an adjustable stand at varying heights to see what feels right........Lottsa people ''knows'' but I find what works for you is best.........That isn't to say everybody shut up........more info than you can use is a good thing......:).........Nice looking hammer!

Hey Dan!

Pretty little hammer, I was proud of her when she went out the door.

I would have thought that well resined in studs would be fine (if the floor is solid), she seemed heavy enough not to have to many jumping tendancies when we ran her at my place!

Find the die height you think you are happy with, then add a couple of inches - nothing worse than stooping !

Looking forward to seeing some fancy work heading out of Denmark when you get her going :D

SWEET hammer! I enjoyed the other photos also. Both of my hammers are right at belt buckle high, 25#LG and the 135#Say-Mak. I totally agree with John N, you definitely don't want to stoop, makes for a long day! I've got a friend that will come to my shop and use the 'big boy' and he likes to sit-n-hammer. He even will sit at his 25#LG, he usually brings his own chair! Look forward to seeing pic of some of the work from "Heidi"!

I bet that hammer is not as bad as it looks in the picture, Steve has got to be 6 foot 4 or better.. Too low for him for sure but a guy that was 5'8 or so could be right at home..

I have three hammers.. the smallest being 135 lb and have the dies set at 40", the Nazel 3B is at 38" and the 4B at 37 or there abouts.. Im 5 11..

Thank you all for the advice much appreciated :D

it is good to hear if i was far off or not i am still very green with less then 5 hours total operating powerhamers

I have decided on 92CM a bit higher then working table hight

John you have good reason to be proud i am also proud to own her :)
i will cast a foundation for the hammer 1 meter deep and a bit bigger around then the base of the hammer and cast it so its separated from the floor and then lots of iron in it and then brill 30mm holes and glue in 27mm whole tread 200mm into the cement when cured ofc. and make some thick washers to go under the big nuts that would do it i hope :)

i will keep taking pics and post them when i get to installing her

cant wait :D

cheers all

Hi Dan,

Remember that we ran Heidi for a couple of hours, held down with 4 12mm through bolts into 3" of rotten concrete and they did not pull.

Now, Im all for doing a decent job, but dont over-egg the pudding! 18" thick is a hefty slab and im sure will be enough - it will get the job done quicker, cheaper and get you a bit nearer some paying work from the machine !

Hi Dan,

Remember that we ran Heidi for a couple of hours, held down with 4 12mm through bolts into 3" of rotten concrete and they did not pull.

Now, Im all for doing a decent job, but dont over-egg the pudding! 18" thick is a hefty slab and im sure will be enough - it will get the job done quicker, cheaper and get you a bit nearer some paying work from the machine !

Hi mate

hmm thats about the best news i have had in a long time cheers will make this easier

i have a bad habit of over build/designing things when i dont know whats enough and whats too much
yes it wil save me some cash and also time and ohh boy is cement pricy atm.