I Forge Iron

Is this a problem?

Kael

I finally finished my coal forge! It's made of a Massive old bus rim with plumbing fittibgs attatched to the bottom with slits for air and ash. Inside of this i've piled up several flat rocks in order to create a bowl-shpaped firepot. Here's the problem: the pipes are cast iron, but the flange connecting them to the rim is zinc-plated. My forge is located out in the middle of a field, so ventilation's no issue, but if the zinc flange gets hot enough, will this cause a health concern?

Alex

It could be a problem maybe, maybe not but best not to risk it, what could be a bigger problem is the rocks you have inside the fire pot depending on what kind they are they could explode on you if they get to hot I know sandstone is bad about that. when I was little for fun we would place them in the camp fire and watch them pop. I would suggest fire brick, furnace cement, or refractory clay.

just remember its always better to be safe then sorry even if it means spending a little extra time or money

Vinegar will remove the zinc?

Yes. I soaked my flange in vinegar overnight, and it took about 60% of the zinc coating off. The rest I could have just peeled away, but I was lazy and just lit the forge and let it burn off.

It could be a problem maybe, maybe not but best not to risk it, what could be a bigger problem is the rocks you have inside the fire pot depending on what kind they are they could explode on you if they get to hot I know sandstone is bad about that. when I was little for fun we would place them in the camp fire and watch them pop. I would suggest fire brick, furnace cement, or refractory clay.

just remember its always better to be safe then sorry even if it means spending a little extra time or money

HELLO! READ THIS GUYS POST. A LITTLE ZINC BURNING OFF IN A FEILD IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. EXPLODING ROCKS ARE YOUR PROBLEM.

ROCKS IN AN OUTDOOR FORGE ARE NOT O.K.

DANGER!