I Forge Iron

Making due. Another homemade forge

GregDP

A good smith has a good relationship with all his tools. I find myself cursing mine still at times. The thin sheet metal I'd been using burned up last night so this morning I set out to stop curing and make something I hope last. I spent a couple bucks on kitty litter and some steel pipe a couple weeks ago in anticipation. The clay slurry is JoCo hand dug red clay, unscented kitty litter and woodash. I think I spent just enough to temporarily cure this sailors mouth. What do you think? I've got a few more bricks.. I think the firepot could be deeper.. but I haven't used a side draft forge or seen one in person. Thanks in advance for any links, tips or just saying I'm on the right track!
post-19492-0-30538200-1306160962_thumb.j
post-19492-0-06180700-1306161206_thumb.j
post-19492-0-69025100-1306161510_thumb.j
post-19492-0-83065500-1306161708_thumb.j

What are you planning to burn in it?

Having a couple of hard firebricks handy lets you adjust the "firepot" on the fly---very useful when tweaking in a new set up.

I'll be using an early medieval forge over the fourth of July weekend that is just clay and rock built on a soapstone slab with twin single action bellows blowing though a slightly squished pipe through the side wall and burning charcoal. Works quite well when I have a bellows thrall to hand. Your set up looks quite possible---but the proof of the forge is in the getting hot metal!

Thanks I'm burning coal. I'm wondering if it'll cook fast enough with out the heat transference from the thin tin sheet metal now that it's clayed. Sounds like a sweet set up. I'd love and thrifty bellow idea's I took this little bellows contraption camping a while back with a piece of one inch pipe a few holes drilled in it and capped. It was cool to get back to the basics with sledge hammer anvil and ground forge. I can't wait for this for this to cure! I've been so spoiled by coal! I just don't want to make charcoal, but the shop is too quiet with out the roar of the shop vac. I may end up doing it anyway just sure the day is productive.