I Forge Iron

Metal Suppy in Ontario

hello folks, been a while since i've posted here.

I'm looking to start working with damascus, have made a piece using 5160 and mild, but when I etched there wasn't much difference.
so, i started looking round IFI for what to use, came up with a combo of 1080 and 15n20. lotta people saying its good steel for knives, fairly easily forged, and has a very obvious pattern.
I'm in flamborough, part of Hamilton, called a number of steel supply places that I know of...none have come back with 15n20, 1080 isn't a problem.

so... do any of you know where i can get 15n20, or a different combination that would make a good start?
Maybe a list of steel supply places, i could have missed some?

I'd drive max an hour(one way) for steel, or could pick it up at A+H custom machine in Burlington.
thanks

As far as I know you may have to bring it in from the states. I have sometimes even found it can be cheaper to bring in some steels from the US rather than buying local especially with the current exchange rates. Where did you find the 1080 in Ontario? What kind of section?

Check out Metalsupermarket.com. They have a good selection and I have asked them in Kitchener to bring in steel for me.
Also try sawmills using large band saws. Local bladesmiths may also have idea as to where to get steel. Good Luck.

I have found Metal Supermarket to be one of the most expensive places to buy steel.

As far as I know you may have to bring it in from the states. I have sometimes even found it can be cheaper to bring in some steels from the US rather than buying local especially with the current exchange rates. Where did you find the 1080 in Ontario? What kind of section?

emailed Resource Metals, they said they could get 1080 no problem...
this is the fella i mailed: Jason Bell <jason@resourcemetals.ca>

hmm, being a student, price is usually an issue, but thanks anyways.
If i recall properly, bandsaw blades from sawmill are likely L6, right? could get my hands on that...

thanks

The big bandsaw blades like 6" wide and bigger are all made by the same company and all that i have heard of being tested the results came back as 15n20. The smaller ones for portable bandsaws i am not sure of.

Bob