I Forge Iron

My 100# Hay-Budden

Beautiful! You're very lucky to have something like that passed down to you; the stories it could probably tell.....

All I know is that it sharpened many plow points. My grandfather studied under a blacksmith for a short time in his youth. He had a stroke when I was young so I never seen him use the anvil. In short, I've learned most of my blacksmithing from books and this site due to his illness. The origins of this anvil are unknown but I feel so blessed to have it.

Congrats !!! I have a few tools my Granddad used, so I know how much you'll enjoy the anvil.

Learning using books and the internet is great, but be sure to get to a local meeting when guys get together for a "Hammer In" or something. I am new to this and went to a meeting and everyone there was MORE than helpful, really gave me a good start !

• 3 weeks later...

This is a picture of the anvil I inherited from my grandfather. It's in near perfect shape! Minor pitting but the face is flat and true.

Atleast you were able to inherit yours, mine got sold out of the family's wishes and is now gone.

Currently looking to buy one but there are hard to come by in southern california.

Atleast you were able to inherit yours, mine got sold out of the family's wishes and is now gone.

Currently looking to buy one but there are hard to come by in southern california.

Hey twig, I had the same problem, but don't be discouraged by not having an "real" anvil. Just keep looking, you will find one sure enough. Try craigslist, that's where I found my 175# PW after roaming the pages for 4 months :lol:

Good luck to you