I Forge Iron

The Largest Copper Pot I've Spun

Fe-Wood

Thought I would share my biggest spinning so far.
Blank diameter was 26" Pot size 12" across the bottom and 17" across the top with an 7.5" draw. Huge learning Curve :o
I had to modify my scissor tools because I was stretching the walls so much. I also had to modify my lathe to accept the blank size.
I might have made $15 an hour on this one but the next one I tell ya, I'll make $30 :blink:

post-6253-0-26723700-1305162440_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-19260600-1305162487_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-89620500-1305162536_thumb.jp

Monster- I made a little more than $170 and thank god, I didn't supply the Copper. However, I did have to supply the materials for the mandrel. I figure the copper was about $75 to $100 in todays market. I started with 48 oz. which if my memory is worth a :blink: is .053"

Clinton- I annealed it at least 5 times. This piece seemed to work harden faster than what I'm used to.

Teeny- I've got about 2 years+ spinning part time. I'm self taught.

This one was a challenge.... and I'm glad its done!

Monster- I made a little more than $170 and thank god, I didn't supply the Copper. However, I did have to supply the materials for the mandrel. I figure the copper was about $75 to $100 in todays market. I started with 48 oz. which if my memory is worth a :blink: is .053"

Clinton- I annealed it at least 5 times. This piece seemed to work harden faster than what I'm used to.

Teeny- I've got about 2 years+ spinning part time. I'm self taught.

This one was a challenge.... and I'm glad its done!

mmmm... Yeah I figured 6 hours plus about $80 for the copper...

So the next one you can sell for $200 and make money though?

That's one fine looking pot! I was chuffed as all blazes when I spun a load of brass caps 2.5" dia so I can't even imagine how chipped you must feel.

As a coment I saw some Egyptians edging their spinning using two ball-races fixed side by side on the end of a handle, they pushed these two ball-races either side of the lip and levered it outwards and it worked a treat to curl the lip outwards--- it seemed very simple and I meant to give it a try but I have never quite got round to it.

Ian

Maybe thats why I've been hungry for Popcorn the last few days....

If I do another it will sell for $250.00. That seems to be the going rate.

ianinsa-
Show us some of your spinning work!
Here is a picture of some nice edge forming tools. I have made a couple but don't really like the extra buildup on the edge. I prefer to use thicker material. Its about line and form for me.

post-6253-0-24426000-1305218149_thumb.jp

I'm no spinner by any stretch of the imagination, I've done it a couple of times and know it just gives you that warm mushy feeling when it comes out right(possibly beginners fever)
Those tools look great, the dual ball-race tool was similar but where you have one wheel with a groove they put two bearings side by side with the thin metal going in between - it just seemed to work amaisingly well.
Ian

That sure looks nice! I suppose if you made enough of those you could afford a pot to pee in and a window to throw it out of at $250 each, well that is if folk bought them for that much. :blink:

Thanks BI-
The factory made ones sell for $250.00- $300.00 so I guess people do pay. If I made a bunch of them, say over 100, I'm sure the price would drop drasticly, Like by half.
With all the rejects from learning spinning- I have a pot to pee in but no wondow, just the door.....

• 3 months later...

That is just too cool! I had wondered about doing something like that on a big copper basin I made for a baptismal font a while back, but I would have had to hire it out. I did it by sinking and raising with wooden hammers and forms. Sometime down the road I might play around with this.