I Forge Iron

Stag Horn Drop Point

Altusjg

My first stag horn knife. The steel is leaf spring. The blade is 4 1/4" long with a 1/4" guard and a stag horn handle. The over all lenth is 9 1/2". Hardened in canola oil and tempered in oven at 350 deg F for 2 cycles of 3 hours each. This is my 6th or 7th knife to make and im getting better with each one!! :D This one will go to my brother-n-law and will be used as a hunting knife to field dress deer mostly. It balances just behind the guard and is shaving sharp. I dont exactly have a precision fit between the blade, guard and handle but expect it will come with time. All in all im pretty happy with this blade and hope it serves well in the field. Let me know what yall think and what i could have done to make it better. Thanks!!

post-18517-0-77536700-1304565282_thumb.j

post-18517-0-61631900-1304565301_thumb.j

post-18517-0-44916800-1304565316_thumb.j

I like it. It looks like it will do a great job as a skinner. As you said, in time with practice, your skills will improve. I havent finished my first knife that I'm working on but in my experience, whatever we do gets better with time so long as we learn from the past.
Keep up the good work and thanks for posting.

Mark<><

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure hoping he'll like it. This is myabe my second knife made that will be put to frequent use and look forward to hearing how it holds up in the long run. Thanks again!