I Forge Iron

Galvanized quench bucket -- bad idea?

I've been using a galvanized steel pail as a quench bucket. I try to avoid contact between hot pieces and the edges when I'm cooling something off.

Today, I smelled an odor that was very much like cow manure coming from the quench bucket. I'm wondering if that is the toxins from the galvanization or just something harmless in the water.

Here's My galvanized quench bucket

Thanks for the reassurance. Maybe I should re-label the bucket "mystery patina" and invite the critters to use it to do their business :) In all seriousness, there have been lots of huge beetles around lately and some of those smell bad even before being incinerated! I had one small bug fly straight into the gas forge tonight. It went up in flames almost immediately.

I don't like changing the water because I've heard that well-used quench water helps relieve poison ivy.

In retrospect, I've soldered galvanized steel and it does take a bit of care, but as long as you don't leave the torch on it too long, there's no problem. Based on that, I doubt a quench bucket would get hot enough to burn the coating even with hot metal contacting the surface. When galvanized steel burns, I understand that it releases a white smoke. All I see near the bucket is the usual steam. I have not yet taken the time to look up the facts on this.

You should never have any problem....well maybe that smell but then....Anyway, I have a couple of galv. wash tubs outside my shop that I catch rain water in and have noticed that there are no mosquitoe larva in either one. I have been running this little test for several years and have yet to see any. I have been told that an alumn. can in your quench bucket will do the same, keep the mosquitoes away. Now the June Bugs are a different thing...pesky little devels they are and they do stink.

snip

I don't like changing the water because I've heard that well-used quench water helps relieve poison ivy.

snip

I've heard that as well and wonder what in the slack tub relieves poison ivy. I theorize (never had a chance to test) that it has something to do with forging with coal and the impurities of the coal building up in the water rather than just dunking hot iron in the water.
Does anyone have any information?

(I guess this could hijack the thread - sorry)

ron

I've got a galv quench bucket, no problems there, apart from mice going for a swim in it and lets say spending a bit too long in the water... which is a bit gross to have to deal with, good thing there's lots of tongs handy to do that!!