I Forge Iron

Old Anvils.

That first one is an oldy indeed!

That second one doesn't look unusual, just abused and attempted repaired. I have seen other anvils where they have tried various methods to replace a piece broken off including a dove tailed horn and one that a lovely horn prosthesis where they forged a ring to fit near the base of the horn with 2 forge welded on legs that went to below the heel and were then forged round and threaded so a bar could be screwed on to hold the horn in place. (I've done sort of the opposite to put a prosthetic hardy hole on my outside anvil.)

Frank Turley - Flat bottom without a trace of possible parts for mounting a tree stump. ThomasPowers - About first one/ In one book about blacksmithing in Russia, I saw exactly the same anvil. There was a date of 10 - 12 century. It was very interesting to learn about different ways to repair anvils. It is unusual for our region. She was found in an old manor Mikhail Lomonosov. She was buried in the ground at a depth of 1 meter. And laid on the sides and top of masonry. I think it is those times. ))

post-11816-0-38854500-1303746365_thumb.j

post-11816-0-20125900-1303746371_thumb.j

Blacksmithing is rather odd in modern life in that most of us probably have and use tools that are 100 years old and 200 years is not that uncommon---seems like old blacksmithing tools "wear like iron"!

I have a William Foster anvil that's date stamped 1828 that I still use on occasion and one of my favorite pairs of tongs look just like a carving of a set in the Roman Museum in Bath! (probably late 19th century for my pair but it just shows that a good design doesn't disappear!)

I really like looking at some of the "home made" tools as you can really get a feel for what the smith had access to and what processes they were comfortable with. Thanks for showing off your collection!

Well now I feel guilty I didn't get the old carriage makers anvil quite for free his wife said get rid of it and I gave him $100 for it and a stand. Honesty is the best policy. I feel better now.

I still would have bought a lotto ticket..............;)..........Remarkable how good a shape it's in for so old.....a beauty....mb

• 4 weeks later...