I Forge Iron

Making chain

Ok making chain! Here goes!

In this tutorial I used precut 8-inch lengths of 1/4-inch square cold rolled steel. Each link takes three heats to complete. This same step by step process can be used for larger links in larger stock. Once again, the key is get it hot and also be sure your tools are ready in their places and not tangled up with each other or with some other tool you should have put up thirty minutes ago.

Step #1: Cut three pieces of 1/4" square stock, 8-inches long. Make a 3/4" round stock mandril four-five inches long with a thick flat tang on the bottom. Clamp this tang in the vice. Have two pairs of tongs that fit the stock handy near the mandril along with a hammer.
DSC01612-1.jpg

Step #2 Get a good heat in the center of the stock. Use the two tongs to bend the stock around the mandril in the center ("U"-shaped,) and then dress it up good and tight with the hammer. Get the ends of this "U"-shape pretty even but don't kill yourself trying to get it perfect. (Keep it within an eighth inch.)
DSC01617.jpg
DSC01620-1.jpg

If the ends are way off, this is the quickest way to get it back right.
DSC01618-1.jpg
DSC01622-1.jpg

Step #3 Now heat the ends. Get it hot! You'll need the extra heat to complete this step in one heat. Use the peen side of a cross peen hammer to scarf the ends. The ends should be scarfed at an aproxiamtely 45 degree angle as shown in the pictures. Scarf one side, then flip the link over and scarf the other side in the SAME MANNER. DO NOT switch the tongs around or the scarf WILL BE backwards. See pictures.
DSC01623-1.jpg
DSC01627.jpg
DSC01626.jpg

On two of the three chain links you cut, use the same heat to bend the scarfs onto each other so that they overlap. Do this over the horn.
DSC01629-1.jpg
DSC01631-1.jpg
DSC01630.jpg

This is what the result of step #3 should look like.
DSC01635.jpg
DSC01633.jpg
DSC01632.jpg

Step #4: Heat to a bright cherry red and flux. I am using "red flux" (equal parts by weight of red iron oxide and boric acid.)
DSC01638.jpg

After fluxing heat to welding temperature. Give two to three light blows on the flat side of the chain, per side, to get the initial weld. Then go to the horn and get the end of the link. In the same heat, go to the mandril and dress up the link.
DSC01641.jpg
DSC01642.jpg
DSC01645.jpg

Step #5: now heat the ends of the third link you cut, put the two welded links on and bend the scarf together. Weld the same as step #4.

Make these sets of three links and then connect them just as you did the first link. Each link in this stock size can be done with just a little practice, in three heats. With a bit more practice you can work with two links (or more) at a time.

This is a pretty easy weld to do so it is good practice.

This is the project that this chain tutorial cam from.
DSC01646.jpg
DSC01647.jpg
DSC01648.jpg
DSC01649.jpg

From my understanding, welding the chain on the end and using this scarf, decreases the amount of stress on the weld and increases the strength of the weld. When I'm dressing up my welds on chain I work the link down into a black heat to make sure the weld will not break.

Also welding mid-link is more dificult because your tongs would be so close to the weld. Welding length ways you have a little more room.

Thanks for the complements.