I Forge Iron

My first knife

BobThAK

Bob, there was a discussion lately about needing more constructive criticism when someone asks for an opinion.

The bend where the blade meets the handle bothers me as it seems to be too much and puts the hand in an awkward position in relation to the work. The blade looks like it could visit a grinding wheel to smooth out the back edge in particular, as it looks unfinished. If the handle does not fit the hand, then the handle needs work also.

Not knowing the use the knife was designed for, I would like to see it used and then a second knife improved based on the difficulties encountered.

Keep THAT knife so you can look back and see where you started.

i basicly made that knife as a first attemp of making anything on a forge, using coal and my anvil was on the ground. oh and it was a piece of RR Rail.
a 2 dollor hammer and a pair of 6 inch pliers for tongs. forged it on my knees in my front yard. had really no idea of my finnished design. really no design at all. it actually fits really well in the hand. its a bout 10 inches long. and i ground it with a dremmel, in my kitchen.

Bob, it doesn't matter what the knife looks like. You did a HECK of a job forging it out by hand! That took initiative and a lot of dedicated effort and I can admire that in a beginner. Please keep us posted on your subsequent projects as I think we can expect you to make rapid progress! Welcome to the group!

I agree with the input from both Glenn and Quenchcrack. The exiting thing is that you started and completed the project.
Repetition is the mother of skill. The more often you stand in front of that forge and anvil, the finishd product will look closer to what you intended.
My first knife was not near as interesting as your knife. You did well!
Be safe, be safe!
Ted

I think that is a really cool first attempt! I have just started reading up on bladesmithing and I'm really getting the urge to start doing it myself! I hope that I have a chance to make my own charcoal and build my own forge so I can start producing some interesting knives. I hope you keep progressing with it and hopefully i'll have something on here soon and see if i can top it ;) gl man!