I Forge Iron

hello all

Feukair

Hello all, my name's Larry and I've just gotten into blacksmithing in the last couple of months. I've always been fastinated by it and a couple months ago my dad (who's long been retired) got a bug to build a home made forge. He's got problems with his sholders so he doesn't get to use it much, i think he mostly built the forge for me. Anyways we got it working pretty good, I've tried to bang out a few knives out of old rusty railroad spikes, one of them (my 3rd attempt after breaking one and melting one) actually turned out ok, i grinded an edge on it, shapened it and it actually cuts things. So, i took it home that night and used it to eat a steak at dinner. With my wife rolling her eyes the whole time of course.

I've tried to make a few more knives, but recently made a poker and push/pull (not sure what it's called but it looks like that thing a dealer uses at a craps table...) for working the coals around. I'm working on a pair of tongs. I thought making some knives would be fun but I'm actually having more fun making some rudimentary tools, you bang away at them, shape them, fit them, and cool them and you immediately have something useful. Pretty cool.

My dad also just picked up a 110lb anvile which I'll get to try out for the first time this weekend, up till that we've used a pies of railroad track. I'm pretty busy with my 9-5 job, which lately is more like 9-9 so i only get to play around with the forge on the weekends, usually just saturday. I'll spend quite a few days up there over the holiday tho pounding away.

I look forward to being part of the community and hopefully I'll be able to contribute more than noob questions. I'm amazed how much talent there is here in this forum. I've been lingering for a few days and can't believe the quality of the work in the pics you all present.

Thanks, look forward to chatting with you all.

Lt

Larry, I am always happy to associated with blacksmiths who are just starting off. It sounds like you’re in the right place. I mean attitude wise as well as belonging to this forum. I am also amazed at the talent and generosity of those willing to sharing knowledge through this form.
Remember to enjoy the trip. That would include times when you are adding to your pile of shame (your junk steel pile of burnt steel etc.), as well as building things that fit into YOUR HALL OF FAME.
Be safe, Be Safe!
Ted Throckmorton