I Forge Iron

Champion blower and forge

Furnace1

Just thought I'd share this new little forge I picked up today. I don't know much about blowers so I'm hoping someone could add some info. It is a champion blower with a cast iron pan about 24" x 16 or so. It's in great shape with nothing needing repairs. The blower is about 8" across the fan housing and I did get the top cover off without any trouble to check the gears, they too were in great shape for it's age. There is a #104 on the bottom of the pan but other than the Champion name and location there are no numbers on the blower. It seems to blow air pretty good especially after I cleaned out the mouse nest that was under the grate and everywhere else in there! Any input would be appreciated. I plan on using it for demos and craft shows when the time comes. Thanks...Scott

24 x 32 inches of image is a little large for the forum.
I have reduced your images to 600 pixels maximum size

post-1-0-06195700-1302224194_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-68439000-1302224198_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I have seen several styles of blowers before but most were much bigger than this one. I'm assuming this is some type of rivet or horse shoer's forge given the size? I'd really like to find out how old it is if possible. I plan on giving it a try out tomorrow!

Thanks again....Scott

looks nice! might be a later(newer) version of the champion 400 ..thats what it looks like ...

I have a forge similair to yours I take to demos and hammer-ins. It's a great size for traveling with. I was having hit-or-miss troubles forge welding with it because of the lack of firepot. I ended up making a drop-in firepot using the top of an old CO2 tank, probably from a soft drink machine. I hole sawed through the end with the threads so it fit over the air flange in the forge. Then cut the tank so I had 3 inches or so of fire pot. I cut a piece of 3/16 plate to fit in the forgepan, cut a hole in the plate that matched the firepot,welded together, and it simply drops in. I use a handful of dirt on the edges of the plate to combat tipping and shifting. It made the forge a whole lot better for an afternoon of work.

Thanks for the tip.....I see just what you mean. Tried it out the other day and it just is not deep enough for welding.I'm going to be retro fitting some type of pipe or whatever I can find to do just as you suggested. I'll post back with some pictures when it's working better.
Thanks again...........Scott

I have a forge similair to yours I take to demos and hammer-ins. It's a great size for traveling with. I was having hit-or-miss troubles forge welding with it because of the lack of firepot. I ended up making a drop-in firepot using the top of an old CO2 tank, probably from a soft drink machine. I hole sawed through the end with the threads so it fit over the air flange in the forge. Then cut the tank so I had 3 inches or so of fire pot. I cut a piece of 3/16 plate to fit in the forgepan, cut a hole in the plate that matched the firepot,welded together, and it simply drops in. I use a handful of dirt on the edges of the plate to combat tipping and shifting. It made the forge a whole lot better for an afternoon of work.

• 4 months later...