I Forge Iron

how to make a damascus steel knife

nurdhurd

hi i am new here. i want to make a Damascus steel knife for a friend of mine who is active duty. he is getting shipped over seas to Afghan next month. i have made 6 steel knifes, but never even welded any thing in a forge. i want some advise on how to weld and what steels wold be the best. i live in Memphis Tennessee so i can get what ever i have to to make a knife. i have borax to weld but i am not sure how to weld with it. i have plenty of stuff to etch the steel. i am i total chemistry nerd and have 31% hydrochloric acid, 95% sulfuric acid, 65 % hydrogen peroxide, 70 % boric acid, and 98% nxxxxc axxd. i think at least on of those should be ok to etch the blade.the last one i can not say because some people use it for the wrong thing i use it to make sulfuric acid. i thought i might be able to etch the blade in different spots with different acids. to make it look differently. because different steels corrode at different rates by different acids due to their alloys. if any of you have any advise on forge welding or what steels make a good blade and can weld easily i would like your help. and if borax is not the best flux i would like to know one that is better because most likely i can buy it if not i have a full chemistry lab.

Having someone walk you through your first one would help TREMENDOUSLY!

I had a 15 year old kid at my forge on the "school tour" day (his mother was a chaperon and so I had permission for him to work at the forge) and after doing his first forge project he started asking about pattern welding. Having some fun sized billets (1/2 to 1/3 the length I generally work) I threw one in and made the first weld while he watched (23 layers of thin stock so it's a bit tricky), then had him draw it out, nick it fold and do the second weld on his own (and take it home with him!)

I would also commend to your attention "The Complete Bladesmith, The Master Bladesmith, The Pattern Welded Blade" all by James Hrisoulas. You should be able to ILL them from your local library; but if you plan to be forging blades in the long term you will probably want to *buy* them!

Be sure to make up a sample piece of the same materials you go with so you can test your heat treat and etching on a *sample* rather than on the good one.

Hi I think you should start by doing a little reading and resurch. You didn't say weather you are using a propane or solid fuel forge? With a propane forge you need a way to controle the air fuel mixture. You need to have cleen meatal and a fuel rich envierment in your forge. Oxegen free . Most knife makers use 1080 or 1084 and 15and20 steel to make damascus. Not all steels will weld easelly to one anuther. the more alloey in the steel the harder to weld. If your frend is being deployed and may need the knife whell in harms way I would sugjest an knife of 5160. Then make a damascus knife for him after you have perfected your welding. You will probabley have a few that won't work out. You can end up with weld flaws that can couse the knife to brack even when you can't see the flaws

To steel a thought from someone else on here: Its kind of like entering a nascar race with out having first learning to drive. However maybe this will be a little less irritating: The easiest way to learn how to do something is not to try and do something....or work on all the steps and pieces that you may encounter and then slowly put them together into a whole piece. A couple of the above statements will help you a lot. Read thos books listed and visit someone that will demonstrate how they forge anything,,then later on after you have tried basic forging move to someone that will demo forge welding then give that a go. then you will have spent some time at the forge and developed some muscle memory and are able to do the repetetive moves that aare required in addition to learning how to heat metal and when it is the right heat.
Or a last thought: Do it anyway you wish and however you would like to. Some folks can learn that way,,,,have fun

i wrapped some handsaw blades in a paper towel with borax and clean sand. in a pice of sheet metal. i will forge them and show you before and after pics. even if they do not work. if they do not work i will just keep on trying, and try to learn more. hope for the best

Clean sand was the flux usually used for real wrought iron---they stuff they basically stopped making about 100 years ago.

Real wrought iron contains ferrous silicates and works/welds at quite high temperatures where the sand will melt and keep O2 away from the metal.

Hacksaw blades will be quite high carbon and so should weld at much lower temps than wrought iron.

So skip the sand and keep the borax!