I Forge Iron

So I have this tiny forge.

BIGGUNDOCTOR

I picked this tiny forge up years ago, just because. Dug it out the other day, and figured that someone may be able to offer some information on it. Is it a rivet forge, or possibly a farrier forge? The feet tips have notches that would allow it to be bolted down. I haven't found a name on it anywhere yet, and it is a flat belt drive.

post-1-0-01140600-1301256757_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-24510400-1301256763_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-06511600-1301256770_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-34865900-1301256775_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-49432200-1301256789_thumb.jpg

Hey Fe-Wood, picked the small forge up in CA where things do rust. :D Things do rust here since not much in the way of coatings hold up to the brutal sun. The big difference is that it rusts veeeeeeeery slowly since we only get 4-4.5" of rain on average.

Don't know where the other two originated, but I got those at an estate sale in Las Vegas I found through Craigslist. The Buffalo in back was the one that the guy used, the one with the Midway blower was an extra that he had. He had welded in a stainless grate that I will have to rework to make right.

Hmmm, prospector forge. I'll have to check into that. I saw one listed as a farrier forge that was similar, but it had a square fire pot.

I can spin the parts by hand, so it should just need a good soaking to loosen it up. The small 50# anvil on the top of my makeshift anvil tree is the one I got last summer to go with this forge. Found that on CL too, and it supposedly came out of the Ely area up North. Of course all of the anvils supposedly come from mines around here.

Ianinsa, yep things seem to multiply on their own down here if left to their own devices. Right now they are "yard art" at least that is what I am telling the county code enforcement officers.<_<
There is an anvil down the road from me that hasn't moved since I moved here in 05 that I want to check on, but I haven't seen anyone at the place to talk with. There is a post vise sitting outside of another place that I want to see about getting for Tim McCoy, but same story as the anvil. Those are 3 of the 4 coal forges that I have. My main one is a smaller Champion that my Dad got years ago when we started in smithing. It is a half round like the one the small forge is sitting on. I like having the square end to stage tools on.

I would like to restore the tiny forge back to working condition. I think it would be fun to use as a portable set up with the small anvil, and I also have a small post vise that would complete the set.

The other two I am not sure yet what I am going to do with them. May just keep collecting parts till I have a complete set; forge, anvil, and vise that I can sell, or trade to a newbie. At the estate sale I ended up making it easy, and just told the son in law " I'll take it all" All ended up being a truck load; 2 forges, a 170# H-B, buckets of tongs, hardies, top tools, some coal, stumps, misc punches/drifts, a Hobart buffalo chopper with ss stand and meat grinder attachment, 2 dutch ovens , camp tripods, and I am keeping in touch with him on some of the other items that he was on the fence about.