I Forge Iron

been awhile

hey kevin! havn't seen you here in a while. i like the knives you made . leaving a little scales worked out pretty well , i also like the peen in the scale on the first one as well as the copper fittings. i never have real good luck making full tang knives , just cant get the scales to fit nicely to the tang without a whole lot of work, did you use apoxy to seal it all up? evrything looks to fit quite well. oh and your facebook link isnt working.

I could never get full-tang knives to work, either. Until, I got the new variable speed grinder from Riverside Machine. One of the facebook links shows it. The grinder is essentially a Bader clone, but with a lot of unique features that Al (who owns the shop) came up with.

It is a wonderful machine, and getting it opened up a number of doors in terms of fit and finish (and pleasure). There are things I can do with it that I could only do by hand before.

Yeah - I beat the heck out of the blade with a little ball peen hammer to drive the scale in, and to also give a small secondary bevel so that I could be assured that I would not accidentally grind all of the scale away when grinding the main bevel.

kc

oh yeah - Riverside Machine - 2x72 bader clone with modifications, variable speed, 1.5 hp, DELIVERED for less than 2K. This is a serious grinder. Totally Enclosed, Fan Cooled motor, NEMA whatever enclosed electronics.... You could hit this thing with a high pressure washer and not hurt the electrical components, and no dust can get to any of the workings.

This is the same quality as a burr king or bader, and the only real difference between this and a kmg is that the supports for the tooling arm are cut from large billets of aluminum (3/4" thick aluminum, so don't even suggest that they might bend or work themselves apart over time). Its not like the grinder in a box kits, where everything is put together from square steel tubing. This thing is built very, very solidly.

I can't directly compare to kmg's because I haven't used one. However, I am aware that they are quite good. This grinder is better than the Bader BIII and the Burr King knifemaker's grinders. And a LOT less expensive.

as you can guess, I highly recommend Al's grinder (and his hydraulic press).

kc