I Forge Iron

Fire screen material and suppliers

Johnny Woolsey

I am working with a client on my first commission of fireplace doors for a large fireplace.We have decided on brass screen but I have no idea as to wire size and opening size that would be appropriate. The design is very simple but has large unsupported openings to be filled with the screen.(32" X 26" inside the frames on each side) I see a lot of suppliers online but would appreciate recommendations from "The Professionals"
Thanks
Johnny

I buy my screen from McMaster-Carr. Check here, do some reading. http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-cloth/=be683m Even if you don't buy from them their descriptions and sizing details should give you the vocabulary to get what you want from other sources. I'm sure someone will note that there are cheaper suppliers out there but McMaster will have it in stock and DELIVERED the next biz day. That's worth at least + 30% to me.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies and info. I ended up finding a company called Screen Technology Group that was a great help.They provided what they called 8 mesh in a .025 brass wire delivered for about $7.30 a square foot. This was almost half what others had quoted. Thanks again for your help.
Johnny