I Forge Iron

Hoe, Hoe, Hoe

No it's not Christmas and I'm not Santa!

However, it is spring and to me, that is the most wonderful time of the year!

Here is a hoe I made from a lawn mower blade. It is about 7-8 inches long I think. The only forging in it was to flatten the blade and then to forge the angle for the blade on the hoe.
Tempering was guess work, and I wanted to go too soft rather than too brittle, because I didn't want it to break after I drove it onto the handle.
I heated to non-magnetic and quenched a little less than half of the blade in motor oil. I let it sit for a second and then pulled it out and hit it with the grinder. I let the color run until the blue was near the edge of the blade and then stuck it back in. After a few seconds I took it back out and let a bronze reach the blade and then quenched the entire thing. I don't know much about heat treating, but the hoe held an edge while mixing 12 bags of concrete and it did not chip or break.

The shaft is 1/2" square. I split it to allow more surface area for welding. (I would have attempted forge welding, but I was pressed for time.) I mig welded the shaft on before heat treating. (Or whatever it was I did! LOL)

Anyway, here are some pictures!
DSC00965.jpg
DSC00967.jpg
DSC00968.jpg
DSC00969.jpg

The apparent chip in the center of the blade is actually a burn spot. (Got it a wee bit too hot! LOL)

Sorry to administration if this is posted in the wrong place. It is mostly forge work and though it is a tool it is not a blacksmith related tool, so I figured it should be here! :)