I Forge Iron

linseed oil as finish question

I mix at a ratio of 20 parts linseed oil to 1 part beeswax. I keep it in the wifes old crockpot,
about 1/2 full I just leave the paint brush in it. Get a little sloppy around the rim and when it
cools off the lid is sealed, comes loose when you heat it up. I think it works better with the
mixture hot and the part warm. you can apply a thinner coat and it dries quicker

Dave
If you'd like a black hard finish on your hooks with linseed oil. Dip or quench the hook completely in the oil when at its highest black heat or just as it is beginning to show color.Swish it around a bit as it cools and then wipe dry with a rag as you remove them from the oil.This will give you a black oxide type of finish that is quite hard and durable.
The linseed , beeswax ,turps and japan dryer finishes are for cold finishing and the item to be coated is warmed only enough to make application easy.

Hope this helps Doc.

Dave
If you'd like a black hard finish on your hooks with linseed oil. Dip or quench the hook completely in the oil when at its highest black heat or just as it is beginning to show color.Swish it around a bit as it cools and then wipe dry with a rag as you remove them from the oil.This will give you a black oxide type of finish that is quite hard and durable.
The linseed , beeswax ,turps and japan dryer finishes are for cold finishing and the item to be coated is warmed only enough to make application easy.

Hope this helps Doc.

I agree with the suggestions to mix the linseed oil with turpentine, beeswax, and Japan drier. I have a quart of it, and it works great.

The only other comment I'd make is about the idea of "tossing" lots of parts into a box. It's likely that, whatever coating you use, you'll have problems with that method. You might be well served to do a quick wrap in newspaper or other packing material. We used to do that in manufacturing retail store fixtures, even when the finish was chrome or powder coat.

The pieces will display better, and have more "curb appeal" if they're undinged when you put them out.