I Forge Iron

Cone mandrels and what they are worth these days

Sam Salvati

I've heard them called "the most expensive coat rack in a smithy!"

I've been forging for over 25 years now and have never found a strong enough need for one to shell out the change for one. Of course my stack of rounds for shaping stuff on has grown pretty high over that time. In general I prefer not having the tapered round to bend stuff on.

At Quad-State a fellow had some missle nose cones that had failed quality check that they were selling as intermediate sized cones---about 3' high IIRC for very resonable prices, under US$100 IIRC.

I have one that is 4 feet tall with the tong slot up one side. It does not go to a point but ends about 4" in diameter with a square interior to hold a smaller cone - which I don't own.

It been in the shop for about 15 years and I have NEVER used it - but as folks have said, it's probably the cat's meow when needed.

I have one that is 4 feet tall with the tong slot up one side. It does not go to a point but ends about 4" in diameter with a square interior to hold a smaller cone - which I don't own.

It been in the shop for about 15 years and I have NEVER used it - but as folks have said, it's probably the cat's meow when needed.

If you need to make rings, OH BOY ARE THEY EVER!!!!!!!!!

A cone mandrel is NOT for making rings. It is for truing rings. The ring should already be done before you drop it on the mandrel. I have a solid cast 2' mandrel and it is very handy. You don't use it often, but if you have one, it does the job like no other tool... quickly and easily. You don't hit the ring all the way around... you drop in over the mandrel and look for daylight. Wherever you see light, just tap those spots. The rings settles a little lower and in no time you are done. You tap at the bottom of the ring where it makes contact with the mandrel; not in the middle which would cause it to bevel. Usually, it's best to flip it over and do a quick tune up on the other side just to be safe. I would like to have a 4' mandrel but haven't ever had a job which justified that particular expense.

Too true Ed;-) I always thought that cone madrels were an expensive waste of time, then I had some heavy rings that I need true, and Nothing else does the job as easily. They are really only good for one thing... But for that one process they are the berries, and practically indespensable. I will be making my own or coughing up the painful amount of money for one sometimenext summer I imagine;-)