I Forge Iron

Sources for wrought iron.

There is a company in Supiour(SP), WI possibly called the Wisconsin woodchuck that sells wrought taken out of an old elevator. I think they advertise in the anvils ring. They were a vendor at ABANA conference last summer.

A guy sells parts from an old bridge at SOFA but that is not till Sep

As far as I know no one rerolls wrought in the US
You could order it from the UK but unless you need tons not very economical

If you hope to literally find wrought iron, that's a bit of an art and it would help to know where you are in the country. Essentially you look for stuff that's made of iron/steel and 100+ years old. Depending where you live, you could find it just about anywhere. (A coworker of mine dug 100+ pounds of wrought iron farm equipment out of his yard last year. I still can't persuade him to sell me any of it. He just thinks it's cool. And it is. But I could forge it into something even cooler!)

If you want to buy it, there are folks who sell the antique stuff. Here are a couple:

http://www.wisconsinwoodchuck.net/treasures.htm
http://elliscustomknifeworks.hightemptools.com/wroughtiron.html

Frequent the bladesmithing forums and you'll find more sources. Bladesmiths love wrought iron.

Edit: Do not order from the U.K. Had an exchange recently with someone who did that for a paid job. It was extremely expensive. Wrought iron is not that hard to find in this country. It just takes a little patience, and a little practice.

OK , get the tar and feathers ready, because I am about to suggest blacksmith blasphemy. :o

Good wrought iron is going for $3 a pound. Crappy anvils with the face broken off are going for 50 cents a pound. Slice and dice. There, I said it and I'm glad.

If you can't bring yourself to do that, I have seen 100' lengths of wrought iron ship chains in the scrapyard, but could not afford to buy the whole thing, because that was the only way they would bother to did it out of the pile. :(

Aldo, the NJ steel baron, sometimes sells chunks in flat rate boxes on his website to knifemakers. http://njsteelbaron.com/

Wrought iron can be found at old farm sites where a silo was.....5/8" round rod was used as the bands to hold them together. Old wagons with wood wheels had wrought iron bands as the "tire". Ships had anchors and anchor chain of wrought iron. Over 110 years old and it's probably wrought iron. Bridges, structural iron in buildings, etc.....it was everywhere.

Wrought iron can be found at old farm sites where a silo was.....5/8" round rod was used as the bands to hold them together. Old wagons with wood wheels had wrought iron bands as the "tire". Ships had anchors and anchor chain of wrought iron. Over 110 years old and it's probably wrought iron. Bridges, structural iron in buildings, etc.....it was everywhere.

My boss tore down his 100+ yr old wood silo last year. About 6 hours ago today several very slow moving gears in my head clicked into place. One phone call, and he said I can have all the bands except one (why he wants to keep one is beyond me, but hes as much of a hoarder as most of the people I know). Even if it's not wrought, I'm still excited at the prospect of a lot of free metal.

Ok I got some time at the forge yesterday and tried out the wrought iron that I got on ebay. It does forge nicely, keep it real hot or it starts to crumble, I forged mushrooms out of 3/4 inch round stock, I got the idea of mushrooms from Brian Brazeal. It is a fun little forging exercise and you can learn alot by doing it, while using very little material and fuel. Her is a link to the ebay guy
http://cgi.ebay.com/...mMakeTrack=true
post-10376-0-90355600-1298305663_thumb.j

Swung by my bosses house today to give him a birthday present of a hook, and a canning jar opener to hang on it (those two things and nails are all I know how to make yet :P ), and I hacked off the five feet of hoop that wasn't embedded in ice. Once it melts down a bit, I'd like to get them over to my shop in one piece, but I'm pretty sure the logistics of that are unreal. The bands are 5/8", as rthibeau said, with 3/4" tensioning rods, 2 or 3 feet long.
post-16770-0-26234300-1298325134_thumb.j

Here's the hook and opener (credit for the idea goes to someone on these forums, wish I could remember who!) It didn't occur to me to make the loop on top of the opener large enough to hang on the hook until I was done, at which point I was totally out of coal and finishing in a kindling fire. I didn't have a torch, so I ran over to my dad's shop and opened it up with a pair of needle nose pliers, that's when it got significantly uglier. C'est la vie. On the bright side, I didn't even think of which way I was twisting the two items, but I lucked out.
post-16770-0-07077700-1298325162_thumb.j