I Forge Iron

hammer alloy?

I like 4140 too. I have found old axles are a good source of steel to make hammers not all of it is 4140 but they are often similar behaving alloys in terms of heat treating and forging. Others may have had different experiences with axles. My process was to forge the hammer to shape quench in water and temper to dark brown in my oven. You can quench in a fast oil if you fear using water but I have never had a problem with quenching axle steel in water. Make sure you don't try to punch the steel too cold it can crack around the eye I made that mistake on my first few attempts. I have been forging with a hammer made from a rear axle of a 73 Dodge van for the past 10 or so years so far so good made from unknown steel.

the type of steel used for a blacksmith hammer may depend on exactly how you plan to use it, but I have used 1045, 1060, O1, 4140, 4340, CAT track pins and sucker rod all to good results. Properly heat treated any of them is good. I've even made hammers out of H13 and S7.

the type of steel used for a blacksmith hammer may depend on exactly how you plan to use it, but I have used 1045, 1060, O1, 4140, 4340, CAT track pins and sucker rod all to good results. Properly heat treated any of them is good. I've even made hammers out of H13 and S7.

I'd be a little hesitant about using O1, but any of the rest of those would be great choices. (I'm sure the O1 worked; there's just a higher inherent chance of brittleness problems in a steel with that much carbon.) Of course 1040/1045/1060 are more economical and simpler to heat treat than high alloy stuff.

I heat treat the pins same as 4340...seems like they're similar. Regarding the O1 for hammers, yes it is more difficult to work with and I've cracked a few pieces, but when careful it's a nice steel for a hard hammer.

thanks, guess I'll start collecting when the scrap bins get sorted to be shipped