I Forge Iron

Hay-Budden from Grandpa

This is my first post. My Grandpa passed away in December. I spent childhood summers in his garage tinkering with him. I miss him a lot.

I remember him putting this anvil in front of his garage door to prop it open. As a little kid I used to try to move it. I'm now going through his garage and looking at all his treasures, and I thought I'd try to find a little more out about this anvil. He said it's been in our family for a long time.

It says Hay-Budden Manufacturing Co, Brooklyn NY on the right side of it. On the left side, towards the heel, there's a 16 stamped in it. And the serial number reads plain as day, 155368. I couldn't make out much of a stamp on the waist under the label. I weighed it on a bathroom scale at 85 lbs.

If anyone could tell me when it was made, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Michael

According to Anvils In America, it looks to be made in 1908.

Wow, thanks a lot. My Grandpa was 89 when he died. He said he remembered being 7 or 8 years old and watching his Grandpa sharpen plow blades on it at his farm in Arkansas. I hope to give this to my grandkid some day.

Thanks again.

Hey Michael,

Welcome to IFI. Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Did he do any blacksmithing and are you interested in blacksmithing? If so this site is the place to learn.
Your grandchild will probably love it since it would make it his/her great great grandfather.

Mark<><

I am sorry to hear about your Grandfather passing but that is tempered by the story of your tinkering with Grandpa.

When my Grandfather passed my cousins fought over the expensive stuff like his gold watch that he never wore because it was "too nice". I took his tools and every time I use them I feel a connection with him that always brings joy to me.

My deepest sympathies to you for your loss. I didn't have that luxury of knowing either of my Grandparents that well. But I'm making up for it with my GRANDson and will with the one on his/her way!! :lol:
Where are you located? Knowing where you live will help us put in in contact of another smith or at least the ABANA group nearest you. Meetings are usually held each month and we all love having new faces show up. Enjoy the anvil, I just wish any of mine could talk....well, maybe not! They'd probably tell me to take up golf! :P
Welcome to IFI and enjoy the site.

Enjoy your anvil. I only knew one grandfather and I didn't get to know him that well. I remember a few things about him, and as one of many grandchildren I got two small items they had owned. One I used to like playing with as a little boy when visiting my grandparents is a small telephone bank, and the other is a set of bronze book ends with an indian head on them.

I would have loved to have spent time with my grandfather fishing, which is what he usually did. Before I ever came along he retired from farming and was living in an apartment building. The last place they lived was a very small house not far from where I live now. It was full from floor to ceiling, so I suppose my grandparent's other favorite thing to do was go to the auctions which used to be held every week.

Come to think of it my grandma used to like to go to BINGO every week as well. Pretty good for two old folks that I doubt collected a dime of Social Security in their lives. (Before their time.)

My point is that you have a solid reminder that you can use every day or anytime you feel like it to connect you with your grandfather, and never doubt with what he told you about this being a family treasure. Use it well and in good health.