I Forge Iron

Straightening a leg vise..

zampilot

OK, heat and beat. Hopefully the last hello of minus 10 is tonight, I'll have to waste some propane to warm the anvil tomorrow but I can handle the move and hammer. I pick up my new outside anvil in the next day or two: a 5x5x10" chunk of 4140, I'll sink it in my oak stump in a month or two and commence to 'work harden' it. I'm really stoked to get to heatin' n beatin' on some of the small pile of unknown scrap, RR spikes and old files.

If you have a sawmill located near by, you can stop in and ask them if they have rail road cross-tie ends. They work great for beating on just about anything like that. Also work great for blocking up things if needed. I use them often on heavy equipment.

Legs should be mild or even real wrought iron. IIRC there are some out there done in ductile though. Did you spark test it?

Well that did'nt take but 5 minutes. Not much spark flying on a test, maybe it is WI. Heated it up to orange, laid it across the anvil and tapped it a few times with my hammer, now it's straight as before! It's a restoration project, the spring and mount are missing, there's a coil spring tacked on (in the wrong place to work well) and some angle iron welded to it. All that comes off!
It's supposed to be in the mid-thirties this weekend so outside work will be OK.