I Forge Iron

Kohlswa anvil

I can't tell you much about the numbers but Kohlswas were very popular in the US from the 60's to the 80's when Centaur Forge imported and sold boatloads of them. They have been making anvils for about 70 years. I bought a 165# Kohlswa 30 years ago when I first started smithing and later bought a second one-a 325# double horn Kohlswa that is still my primary anvil. My original Kohlswa is now mounted on a portable stand near the power hammer for any tweaking without having to walk to the big anvil. At the time I bought mine they had a well-deserved reputation of being a little soft. They have work hardened considerably through the years but a bad blow near the edge will still leave a dent. If they are not fastened down solidly, the ringing will drive you insane. Even with their faults, I have been very happy with both of mine and they are in daily use.

Neal

post-17465-0-65331000-1296948003_thumb.j

I can't tell you much about the numbers but Kohlswas were very popular in the US from the 60's to the 80's when Centaur Forge imported and sold boatloads of them. They have been making anvils for about 70 years. I bought a 165# Kohlswa 30 years ago when I first started smithing and later bought a second one-a 325# double horn Kohlswa that is still my primary anvil. My original Kohlswa is now mounted on a portable stand near the power hammer for any tweaking without having to walk to the big anvil. At the time I bought mine they had a well-deserved reputation of being a little soft. They have work hardened considerably through the years but a bad blow near the edge will still leave a dent. If they are not fastened down solidly, the ringing will drive you insane. Even with their faults, I have been very happy with both of mine and they are in daily use.

Neal

I have heard about that Neal, and boy I'm jealous of that anvil :P Same pattern as me I think, is it a B 32 too?

I have heard about that Neal, and boy I'm jealous of that anvil :P Same pattern as me I think, is it a B 32 too?

My big anvil is a Kolswa B31 - 146 Kg and the small one a Kolswa A1 - 75 Kg. I bought the A1 new in 1981 and the B31 new about 5 years later. My B31 sits on the end of a 12" x 16" piece of Rock Maple almost 8' long, the bulk of which is buried in the ground. Talk about rock solid and no ring at all.

Booooo, I just got of the phone with the Ky Horseshoeing school and they said they were having communication problems with Kohlswa and weren't importing any at the moment :/ I don't really enjoy the thought of sailing to Sweden to bring one back.... :P

want a Kohlswa? all you need is money....

http://compare.ebay....4=263602_309572

btw they call them coleslaw anvils in Iowa.