I Forge Iron

First forge! And yes, sorry, its another brake drum..

andr3w

So I know you guys have seen a million of these most likely, but I decided to go ahead and post it up. I just finished welding this up the other day. I know it needs improvements, and I will work on it some more...but I am a highschool senior with 2 Jeeps and a growing collection of firearms that I love to shoot, aka, my funds are tight. ;)
I built everything you see here for a total of 6 dollars! :D I am picking up some railroad track in about 30 minutes actually, and I will post pictures up when I get it.
Let me know what you think, and what improvements need to be done!

Edit to add: I know its ugly looking, but I built it from free parts and leftover exhaust tubing from my Jeep project. Hopefully one day I can build something that is actually appealing to the eye, until then I will try and greatly enjoy this.

downsize.jpg

Edited by andr3w

Andrew,

Never apologize for posting a pic of a brakedrum forge. There are many many people here that are just starting and need ideas/inspiration for their first forge. My first forge is a brakedrum forge and I'm about to help a friend make one for himself.

My only concern would be the stability of the legs. Perhaps some support pieces between the legs would make me feel easier but no one will tell better than you when you use it. I like it, nice job!

Good luck with it.

Mark<><

Mark,

I know the legs look a little unstable, they are actually quite sturdy. That was one of my biggest worries when I was building it but it appears to be satisfactory so far. If it becomes a problem, I will follow your advice and weld a brace for them.

Thanks for the kind words!

Andrew

I'm 18 years old and have been doing this for five years now. I started with a brake drum forge.
Don't apologies for building one! They are really good! I'd wager that a smith could turn out just as good work with a brake drum firepot as with a nice cast pot...except that the guy that is using the brake drum has more money to but steel! :)

I now have what very well may be considered at least a high-end, intermediate-level blacksmith shop, and you know what I'm going to build for this year's demo season........that's right, a brake drum forge!

Good job and good luck!