I Forge Iron

P. Wright vise

Reeltree

If vises can be aesthetically beautiful, Peter Wright made such. On top of the screw box "bell shape" you can sometimes make out in small stamped letters: P. WRIGHT PATENT SOLID BOX in three lines. The triple punch marks are probably "match marks," applied so the parts of one vise don't get mixed with another that is being forged. If you remove and clean the screw box, it may have a single letter stamped on it where it wouldn't be seen when the vise was assembled. If there is a letter, I guess it may be an inspector's mark.

If there is a symbol stamped on the vise, it could be the British coat of arms. I have only seen the coat of arms on PW vises that were exported to Canada and Australia, not the U.S.

If vises can be aesthetically beautiful, Peter Wright made such. On top of the screw box "bell shape" you can sometimes make out in small stamped letters: P. WRIGHT PATENT SOLID BOX in three lines. The triple punch marks are probably "match marks," applied so the parts of one vise don't get mixed with another that is being forged. If you remove and clean the screw box, it may have a single letter stamped on it where it wouldn't be seen when the vise was assembled. If there is a letter, I guess it may be an inspector's mark.

If there is a symbol stamped on the vise, it could be the British coat of arms. I have only seen the coat of arms on PW vises that were exported to Canada and Australia, not the U.S.

on mine you can clearly see all the words and the coat of arms and if i was you i wouldntt mess too much with the screw box, but then again i dont have much experience and dont want to test on this vice in tis condition or as my first one
josh