I Forge Iron

Portable Coke Forge Ideas

Fe-Wood

So I was talking with a friend the other day about building a coke forge for the Weaverville Hammer in. I have a Lorrence Fire Pot and a Champion Hand Crank Blower. I may make provision for a 12vdc powered blower too. I'm thinking size would be somewhere in the 24X36 range. I'm not stuck on size. My only real criteria is that it fold up to a clean package for car travel and be easy to set up. And not weigh 200 pounds :D

I'm looking at a folding system to minimize space during travel and have all the dirty parts inside. Or maybe a lid that folds down to cover the fire. Any of you guys built anything like this? Pictures would be awesome :)

...What would you all do to make it better? Looks heavy to me...

Well, the answer depends on what other uses you might have for it in the future.
Requiring that it fold-up rather than come apart sort of adds weight to it.
Does it need to fit into any historical setting for a future event, that makes
a difference also.

Personally, if I only needed a forge for modern-type demos that fit in a car
I would consider a 2ft by 2ft semi-portable forge with screw-on legs, with a drop-in
firepot. That way you simply screw the legs on, drop in the firepot and attach the
blower. Each part thus being easy for one person to move without assistance. You can
then use lengths of pipe and floor flanges for the attachment of the pipe-legs to the
forge.

If weight and portability is the goal, why not try a refined version of Glenn's 55 side blast forge ? For years now I have used propane exclusively but now am considering building a small portable side blast coal/coke forge to play with. Seems like the 55 forge concept is just to simple and easy to pass up. The use of a stainless steel pan would be a natural first upgrade.

If it were me and I didn`t have a truck bed to slide the thing into at the end of the day I`d be looking at a small trailer mounted forge.
One of the last things I`d want in my trunk would be something that held even a remote possibility of burning.I can almost guarantee here will be a burned hand/arm or a melted trunk carpet somewhere along the way toward folding/packing up after a long day of demo.Best to keep stuff like that outside the car IMO.

If it were me and I didn`t have a truck bed to slide the thing into at the end of the day I`d be looking at a small trailer mounted forge.

There's a mountain out of a mole hill :blink: . I need light, compact and easy to set up. As the price of fuel continues to rise, carpooling and compact cars are the mode for transportation to demo's and clinics. I'm looking to design a "workable" forge for the new economy :D

There's a mountain out of a mole hill :blink: . I need light, compact and easy to set up. As the price of fuel continues to rise, carpooling and compact cars are the mode for transportation to demo's and clinics. I'm looking to design a "workable" forge for the new economy :D

For me the thing is putting that nasty thing in the trunk and then knowing that the wife will come along and put something in the trunk that`ll be ruined and I`d take the hit.
Would you want to put a cement mixer in your trunk?How about a hydraulic log splitter? Both these things are made as tow behind units and the set up time for them is less than a minute plus they have wheels on them to allow them to be rolled around by hand into places where cars can`t get to.All the mess is kept outside the car where it belongs and the safety factor alone is worth the effort IMO.
I`m not talking about a huge trailer,I`m thinking something the size of a wheelbarrow tub.If you had a receiver hitch on your car you could even eliminate the wheels and make it slide into and be supported by the receiver like one of those carriers for camping gear.
I`d still put legs on it and move it away from the car for use.Fire that close to the gas tank makes me nervous.

Hey Brian-
Thanks!!
I was hoping you would post on this :D Thats exactly what I have in mind size wise. Is it made from 10g steel? Do you pull the firepot when you move it?
Make a lid and socket legs....and I think it could be a go :)

Bob-
This is what I love about America. We can have different ideas about the same thing and they can both be right :D. A trailer is just not practical for me. I have a full size truck but sometime I commute with other smiths in smaller cars. I can't assume they will have a tow hitch. But being smiths, I can assume putting a boxed forge in the back of a station wagon or trunk won't be an issue.... The anvil and stand may be another issue.... For another time :P

No worries there Fe.
I keep forgetting that just cause everyone in Maine has 4 wheel drive and a trailer hitch doesn`t mean the rest of the world does too.
SWMBO has a Jeep compass and I was just thinking of what she`d do if I came anywhere near it with my apron on never mind tryin` to put my gear in the back of it.
I`d be beat to death with a Dustbuster!The courts would probably rule it justifiable homicide. :o