I Forge Iron

Prayers work

tala9

A few years ago I was battling cancer. During that time there were periods I hurt so badly I saw no future and asked God for relief. I am not proud of the relief I asked for and looking back am very glad God did not give me what I wanted but rather gave me what I needed.

He took me to a prayer group that was praying for me. I do not mean I was driven there it was all done spiritually. I was in the room I felt the warmth and smelled the candles. I saw the person deep in prayer. I heard the sounds. I felt the power of it all and in that I was able to find the power to continue to win to live.

tala9,

I love it when people ask for prayer. I also love it when people acknowledge how prayer has worked in their life. We are told to ask for what we need or even want. As you said, you got what you need. I fully believe in prayer. I have seen it answered over and over. I have had my prayers answered, yes, no, and wait. There were many prayer answers that although disappointing at the time, proved to be the best thing for me.

My wife has been fighting Carcinoid Cancer since 2003. We have our ups and downs but we know that God IS in control. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Keep the faith,

Mark<><

I have no desire to be offensive to anyone, and you are more than welcome to believe what you want, but no, prayers don't work, at least in any measurable way. As an example, in a multi-million dollar study funded by a religious organization (the Templeton Foundation), involving more than 1800 patients, they found that prayer has no effect on healing. Actually, that's slightly inaccurate, while people who didn't know they were being prayed for healed at exactly the same rate as people who weren't being prayed for at all, the group who knew they were being prayed for actually did worse than the other two groups.

If prayer makes you feel better, then by all means, but please, please, make sure you use modern, conventional medicine at the same time to do the actual healing part.

I have no desire to be offensive to anyone, and you are more than welcome to believe what you want, but no, prayers don't work, at least in any measurable way. As an example, in a multi-million dollar study funded by a religious organization (the Templeton Foundation), involving more than 1800 patients, they found that prayer has no effect on healing. Actually, that's slightly inaccurate, while people who didn't know they were being prayed for healed at exactly the same rate as people who weren't being prayed for at all, the group who knew they were being prayed for actually did worse than the other two groups.

If prayer makes you feel better, then by all means, but please, please, make sure you use modern, conventional medicine at the same time to do the actual healing part.

Thanks for sticking your neck out. I agree and wouldn't miss this thread.

Bob

It is hard to measure, it is a personal thing. for me it worked. It did not heal me, modern medicine did that, but it did give me the strength face the pain involved and that promoted healing. In facing any illness if you believe you are going to die because of that illness you increase the likelihood you will die because of it but if you believe you will be healed I truly believe you stand a far better chance of living to tell about it.

I watched a cousin battle three different cancers over 7 years. it finally took her but she went to work 5 days before she passed. she was positive she did not feel sorry for herself she took great joy in living and made sure she continued to live even when her energy level was low. she smiled all the time even making jokes about cancer and the treatments and she continually said she was going to beat it and she did two of them including stage four aggressive breast cancer that her doctors gave her 3 to 6 months to live yet on the day she passed she was breast cancer free and it was 5 years later.

the mind is a powerful thing and anything that helps you remain strong is a great thing

Tala9, you are in my prayers.

No matter how many studies are done, no matter who does them, no matter what outcome man reaches, I still will have the faith in my God and that prayers are heard and answered. I also believe that God uses doctors and we should too.

I question the faith of the "religious" organization that did the study. Not too much faith there I think if they had to try and prove it through science.

Not wanting to start a debate here about religious beliefs because this is a blacksmithing site, but this forum is titled "Prayer List"

This particular forum is for those that believe in prayer or for those that want to wish others well. This is not the place to debate the right or wrong aspects of anothers particular belief.

You wouldn't dare go to the gasser forge topic and tell them that they are wrong for thinking gas is better than coal. It is their right to believe that gas is better. This is the "Prayer List" topic. Those that leave comments here are here for others wellbeing and to give them encouragement and offer prayers on their behalf.

I see that you have strong feelings about your non belief in prayer but this is not the place to voice that. Ask Glenn if you can have your own topic area.

I will keep praying till my dying day and have the faith that my prayers are heard and answered by my God.

"As for me and my family, we WILL serve the Lord."

If this gets me in trouble, so be it, I answer to no man. I will continue to pray for those that ask for prayer AND I will pray for those of you that don't.

Mark<>< :rolleyes:

Not wanting to start a debate here about religious beliefs because this is a blacksmithing site, but this forum is titled "Prayer List"

This particular forum is for those that believe in prayer or for those that want to wish others well. This is not the place to debate the right or wrong aspects of anothers particular belief.

Agreed, I have no desire to start such a debate here either. My apologies if my comment was inappropriate or caused offense, I tried phrase it carefully enough so that it would not. My fundamental point, such as it was, was primarily that prayer should be used in conjunction with medical science, not as a substitute for it. It was the title of the thread, 'Prayers work', that I was responding to, and I probably should have given the context of the forum it was in more consideration. Shutting up now. :-)

Agreed, I have no desire to start such a debate here either. My apologies if my comment was inappropriate or caused offense, I tried phrase it carefully enough so that it would not. My fundamental point, such as it was, was primarily that prayer should be used in conjunction with medical science, not as a substitute for it. It was the title of the thread, 'Prayers work', that I was responding to, and I probably should have given the context of the forum it was in more consideration. Shutting up now. :-)

My mouth has a tendency to "Runneth over" at times. :P Not a problem, we're all human. Glad to see you re-post. Have a blessed day.

Mark<><

My wife and I spend many many hours at the dr and in hospitals in conjunction with prayer.