I Forge Iron

what's the difference in the coal & coke forges?

luckylarry

what's the difference in the coke forge & coal forge i noticed the coke is round and the coal is rectangle, is it that the coke gets hotter? it looks smaller being round, thinking of buying a new forge from centaur, been using a propane majestic, looking to get into old fire.

Wait! A coal forge firepot can be square, rectangular, round, octagonal, irregular, etc as can a coke forge firepot.

Coke forge firepots are often more heavily made as coke often has a continuous blower on it as it can be prone to going out without constant air and so the firepot is exposed to a high level of heat for longer times.

Coal gets hot enough to burn up your piece
Coke gets hot enough to burn up your piece
Charcoal gets hot enough to burn up your piece
Propane gets hot enough to melt your piece
Natural gas gets hot enough to melt your piece

How Hot do you need it anyway?

(and yes I've managed all of the above!)

A properly managed coal fire results in the coal turning to coke as it migrates towards the firepot, with the end result that you are forging with coke either way. Forging with "green" coal is not the goal of a properly managed coal fire.

and there you go B)

• 3 weeks later...

A properly managed coal fire results in the coal turning to coke as it migrates towards the firepot, with the end result that you are forging with coke either way. Forging with "green" coal is not the goal of a properly managed coal fire.

Correct.

Years ago I got a pickup truck load of petroleum coke. It burned hot but, like charcoal, it was hard to keep a tightly focused fire. One great advantage of using high grade bituminous coal is, with proper fire maintenance, the coke tends to form in a continuous ring around the fire so the fire can be focused.