I Forge Iron

Hydraulic Breaker Hammer

I would first try to use the entire piece without cutting it. I would put a lot of thought and effort in that direction.

If that is completely impossible, then I would likely try first, oxy-fuel, with a large tip and high oxy pressure (60-80 psi) and second, an oxegen lance. The other posibilty, if you can afford it, is a Partner saw and a big stack of blades. But I wouldn't bet on the Partner saw.

The very large ones (over 5") are usually 4340 or better (en-30B) usually around 50 Rc. I don't have any trouble cutting them in my bandsaw at 100fpm with full-flow coolant. High alloy will cut with a torch IF you get a good pre-heat. Cast it in a block of concrete and go to town!

Oops! Three-feet long, now I see why you need to cut it down.

you could torch cut it but if you do not have the equipment to cut it in a single pass you could end up with a very ugly cut requiring more grinding to clean up that to cut it off with a grinder.

If you have a band saw that would be best with lots of coolant and go slow. If you do not have a band saw I would cut it with my large hand held grinder using a piece of tape as a guild line and plunge in taking your time being very careful not to cock the disc.

If you use a torch, make a cut one inch or so out from your intended cut. It'll be pretty nasty, but will put some good pre-heat into the end. Make another cut about a half inch more and then you final cut. Each cut will go better due to the heat in the bar. Or heat the end red-hot in your forge and cut it. Once it's red-hot you can even torch-cut cast iron!