I Forge Iron

LG 25# Safety shield

Thomas,

Yeah kind of a christmas present to myself. I have been looking for one close to me in Indiana. The gentleman selling it has had it for 6 years but never worked on it after he had it over hauled. He retired and is downsizing so I will go to pick it up this weekend. I am building a new shop this spring at my brother's house so it will go there after I get the floor poured. of course I will have pictures for all of us as I go along. The LG is an old style one. I believe the serial number is 3310. I plan on sending Sid at Little Giant an email to ask for info on it.

On another note, the gentleman has a buffalo forge brand forge also he is trying to get rid of. I don't know the condition but he mentioned $150 for it and a stainless hood. I am thinking of picking that up. I have the parts for a new forge in the shop so I don't really need it but figure I can help him out and maybe someone else down the road. Who knows.

Here are some pictures of the hammer from the ebay ad. I will take a look at James' website to see what I can see on there.

Brian Pierson

post-6208-0-02819600-1294364769_thumb.jp

post-6208-0-70247200-1294364775_thumb.jp

post-6208-0-47598200-1294364784_thumb.jp

post-6208-0-89661500-1294364790_thumb.jp

post-6208-0-61351400-1294364803_thumb.jp

post-6208-0-97462500-1294364812_thumb.jp

post-6208-0-26356800-1294364819_thumb.jp

post-6208-0-07228000-1294364827_thumb.jp

SWEEEET! According to the Little Giant power hammer book your LG25 was born in 1923, same yr my Dad was born, 87yrs ago. Although my Dad is in Excellent shape your hammer Looks in better shape. At his last visit his Dr. told him he has the health of someone half his age! and he is dating a 60yr old lady!! my oldest brother turns 59 in 11 days!

Here is a link to James' Tailgate ad on his 50#LG http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/17189-little-giant-50-for-sale/page__p__174594__fromsearch__1#entry174594

you might be able to enlarge the pics to build your own. I have seen this hammer work and the cage really is not in the way as one might think. Great price on it too.

I did post pictures of the shield I built for my LG 50 on this section of the forum... If you cannot find them, let me know and I will find them on my computer and forward them... I think it is important to have a shield on these machines... may be a low probability but if there is ever a problem, it might save a trip to the hospital.

All,

I just purchased a LG 25. It does not have a safety shield over the toggle arms. Does anyone out there have a pattern that worked for them? Thanks in advance.

Brian Pierson

come on, where is your sense of adventure? I talked to a guy that had a 100 pound little giant spring blow up in his face and a chunk went through his cheek, he said it felt like a mosquito bite

Thomas and James,

Thanks! That helps a lot. I will have to figure out how to drill the mounting holes. I know a machine shop close that has a magnetic drill setup. Maybe I can take it there before mounting. I will have to print out the pictures to help explain what I am talking about.

James,

Are the dies from Little giant? I was looking at what they had on their website last night. The set on the hammer now is just a straight flat set and I was thinking of getting the change out set.

Clinton,

Did he say how long the hole took to heal? I am torn as I have heard chicks dig scars... But I like seeing. LOL

Brian Pierson

Clinton,

Did he say how long the hole took to heal? I am torn as I have heard chicks dig scars... But I like seeing. LOL

Brian Pierson

Brian,you could play the odds and just make your first forging a replica of Ned Kelly`s helmet then anyone who runs the hammer could wear that. Just hang it on a hook next to the machine.
You don`t want to ruin that nice new paint by drilling and tapping holes in it now do you? :rolleyes:

All,

I just purchased a LG 25. It does not have a safety shield over the toggle arms. Does anyone out there have a pattern that worked for them? Thanks in advance.

Brian Pierson

post-91-0-08140300-1294438406_thumb.jpg post-91-0-34689200-1294438407_thumb.jpg

I like this guard. I got the pics from the forgemagic site. Originally posted by Tio Pick.

Bob

Thomas and James,

Thanks! That helps a lot. I will have to figure out how to drill the mounting holes. I know a machine shop close that has a magnetic drill setup. Maybe I can take it there before mounting. I will have to print out the pictures to help explain what I am talking about.

James,

Are the dies from Little giant? I was looking at what they had on their website last night. The set on the hammer now is just a straight flat set and I was thinking of getting the change out set.

Clinton,

Brian Pierson

Brian, nice looking hammer. I made most of the dies to create some of the texturing I did on my art... you can check out some of the work at www.johnsonmetalsmithing.com