I Forge Iron

Scroll jig & bending jig

So after making my gate last fall, I was trying to figure out how to make bending and scroll jigs so that I could make more gates. Finally I decided to just go for it and make some from scratch. I used a bus brake drum to initially bend the bending jig but after comparing it to the bend of my gate had to straighten it back out some. Then I welded it to some large angle iron. That was yesterday.
Today I decided to have a go at the scroll jig. I laid down some plate steel and laid my gate on top, traced out the scroll then welded pieces that followed the pattern to the plate. Hammered out the end of the scroll then used the template to create the scroll jig.

post-2671-0-47909400-1293589931_thumb.jp

post-2671-0-80439600-1293589962_thumb.jp

post-2671-0-38084100-1293590008_thumb.jp

donno what you guys are trying to find but its not working lol. if you want to see some awesome examples of scroll jigs try and find brians post on the golden mean(variation of the golden ratio, 1:1.6), it had detailed pictures and prosses as to how to make a nice scroll and jig, this is what i use to form some of the jigs i use. here is the link to the topic " . hope that works.

you're link didn't work for me, not sure what happened to the pictures but I edited my original post and re-added them.

A double post of the thread occurred, (it happens) and apparently the admin deleted the thread with the pictures instead of the thread without the pictures. In the bottom left corner is a report button you can use to notify the staff about an oops so it can be cleaned up. I popped the link in to try and get people to the thread with the pictures.

Ah, comedy! Sorry for any confusion.

Phil

A scroll can be made based on the "golden rectangle." In fact, one of Penland Craft School's logos used to be that depiction. However, in the real world, scrolls can be based on varying radii, as long as the expansion rate from the center is constant (exponential?). I have a nicely shaped sea shell that does not follow the golden proportion. We can also look at the Chambered Nautilus or a snail shell, each with its own interpretation of what a scroll should be.

In the British book, "The Blacksmith's Craft," there is a section on forging scroll tools. The scroll for the tool is bent free hand using hand hammer, anvil horn, and bending forks w/wrenches.

One of the most difficult things is to draw a scroll full sized and try to make a scroll form follow the drawing. It takes many trips back and forth from forge to drawing, bending and unbending, and can lead to frustration. It is easier to take an already made scroll tool, oversized, and rotate it over the drawing until it "fits," making an allowance for the scroll stock thickness. One can make a soapstone mark on the tool where they believe the scroll ends. Then it's time to make a test scroll to see whether it's the right size or not. The soapstone mark can be moved in or out until the scroll is the right size.

It helps to arc weld a square or rectangular module of flat M.S. into which the scroll is supposed to fit.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools