I Forge Iron

Shop Press

aametalmaster

I started this shop press 15 years ago and never had time to finish it. I cut the 3x3 angles, punched the 1" holes and left it sit in the corner. Then one day i needed to use it to broach some keyways. So i went out and welded it all up then i went to my machine shop and turned the parts to hold the hyd jack and the bottom tooling. The jack, bed plates and bottom angles are all removeable because i am also going to use the frame with a chain fall to raise my 2 metal lathes up to put the legs under them. Then i can bolt the press parts back on. I could use a little bigger jack but it works for U Joints and my keyway broaches just fine...Bob

post-843-0-68834800-1293492410_thumb.jpg

post-843-0-32689100-1293492418_thumb.jpg

post-843-0-67189700-1293492430_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not desireing to be critical here but years ago I got some real schooling on these things. Your machine is a well thoughout item that has a great purpose built design. Congrats!

Now for the other part. DANGER lurks near in your design!  The cross piece that goes fropm one side to the other that keeps the pressing operation straight (under the jack) is quite a bit undersized. Not that the metal cannot take it when everything is perfectly aligned, but that is when things start happening. The longer the pushing rods, etc the more angle of deflection there exists. WHen you have 10, 20, or more tons pushing and suddenly "shivvers", as when a bearing is being inserted, then an explosion of metal flying everywhere happens. I have seen it about a gozillion times.

Remedy: look at commercial presses and compare the spreader bar that goes under the jack. See how easy you can adapt your project, and implement. Live a good long safe life!

Carry on

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...