I Forge Iron

Danish Krusty

Finally got my Krusty going today. It took me a while to get it going. Had some trouble with the foot pedal, but got some advice from one of the members. In the video it is a little unsteady as my floor is not as flat as it should be. Once I select the place it will stand, I am cutting out the floor and going to redo it to accomedate the vibration of the hammer.

Looks good, runs nice, I think you will get a lot more done with it once you get it properly mounted. You are loosing lots of energy with it moving around like that.

Yea I know that. I knew I would have that problem to begin with. Once the floor is done should see a better improvement. When I was doing the floor for my shop, I got a hard rain storm in the middle of the pour, so the floor paid the price. Mostly I don't have a problem, but for this I knew it would be. What I plan on doing is cut out the floor about 2.5cm bigger than the base, line the hole with rubber matting then repour a new floor with bolts to secure it down.

Yea I know that. I knew I would have that problem to begin with. Once the floor is done should see a better improvement. When I was doing the floor for my shop, I got a hard rain storm in the middle of the pour, so the floor paid the price. Mostly I don't have a problem, but for this I knew it would be. What I plan on doing is cut out the floor about 2.5cm bigger than the base, line the hole with rubber matting then repour a new floor with bolts to secure it down.

Great machine. Whats the weight of the ram?

If you are going to open the floor, perhaps it makes sense to dig out a foot or more and pour a concrete block and anchor the hammer to that?

I like it! nice sparse constrution.

How is belt life and wear? What wears out or brakes on a hammer like this first, where is the weak link?

Belt life is not great in that design, especialy since the motor pulley has so litle belt contact. This could be greatly improved by moving the idler pulley so that the belt wrapped mostly around the motor pulley. The vee-belt slip clutch will always be a weak link though, the belt may last for a year or so. It may have beeb rigged this way purposefully though. Other than that, the next potencial high wear area is the ram guides, there are various methods to reduce this wear.

If one were to build a similar hammer from scratch, it would be good to mount the motor directly under the pitman crank. The idler can then increase surface area to both pulleys upon engagement, yet the belt can hang slack and not grab the motor pulley when at rest.

Belt life is not great in that design, especialy since the motor pulley has so litle belt contact. This could be greatly improved by moving the idler pulley so that the belt wrapped mostly around the motor pulley. The vee-belt slip clutch will always be a weak link though, the belt may last for a year or so. It may have beeb rigged this way purposefully though. Other than that, the next potencial high wear area is the ram guides, there are various methods to reduce this wear.

If one were to build a similar hammer from scratch, it would be good to mount the motor directly under the pitman crank. The idler can then increase surface area to both pulleys upon engagement, yet the belt can hang slack and not grab the motor pulley when at rest.

Great advice. Now that I have build one, there are a few small things I would do different. I was a little worried about the belt wear and may do something about it later, but right now I will enjoy it as is. I did today get it bolted down to the floor and that helped a bit. I am still going to redo the floor under it this spring.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of that aspect. In order to do that I will need to get a turnbuckle to adjust the length of the connecting rod. Will start looking for one and see how it works.

Mikel, I like your hammer very much! well done.

I think you would get a little harder hitting if you adjusted it so that there is about 2" of spacing between the dies at stop, then when it is running the whipping action will make it travel the complete amount.