I Forge Iron

40 ton Manley

oscer

I just bought a used Manley press that needs some work for $75 It's a 40 ton with an arbor press on the wing. It's missing the reservoir which I'll fab up and the winch mechanism. It looks like the winch was built into the bed cause there are large holes in the out side ends of the frame and there is a paw on the front that probable engaged a gear.
There are no pulleys at the bottom of the frame and I'm not sure how the cables wre strung to lift both sides of the bed. any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks Oscer

• 2 weeks later...

Oscer,

FWIW, here's a picture of the table crank on my shop press...

The winch has two cable spools- one for the right side of the table and one for the left. The cables go from the winch through holes in the side of the frame and over pulleys mounted inside the top of the left and right side members, then they go down and are looped and clamped around the bars that hold the two sides of the table together. In the second picture, if you look at the two removable pins on the left side, under the red switch: just to the right you can see two bolt heads. That's where the bars are that the left cable attaches to. If you look inside the right side of the frame, you can make out the cable coming down and where its clamped just above the table.

Hope this helps.
post-6986-0-48402700-1293237407_thumb.jp
post-6986-0-81292900-1293237922_thumb.jp