I Forge Iron

Looking In Connecticut

Hello, My names vincent and im from connecticut. I've been looking for a decent anvil for sometime now, with little to no luck. Im trying to find a decent anvil in the 100-150 weight range and at the 200-300 price range. Im looking to use the anvil not throw on my front lawn to rust. If anyone could help me.

Thank you.

Hello, My names vincent and im from connecticut. I've been looking for a decent anvil for sometime now, with little to no luck. Im trying to find a decent anvil in the 100-150 weight range and at the 200-300 price range. Im looking to use the anvil not throw on my front lawn to rust. If anyone could help me.

Thank you.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/2102388217.html

http://southcoast.craigslist.org/tls/2080817196.html

i wanna thank you guys for the quick replies. The first link ive seen for months they are pretty bad shape. The 2nd link says at the very end has crack, but doesnt say where. i should google map it and give the man a call.

Vinny, check out the anvil with the crack, but describe it here before you buy it. Anvil repair is tricky, but the "crack" may not even be a defect.

Hey Vinny,
Welcome to IFI.

What are you using now as an anvil? I haven't let a little thing like no anvil slow me down but I am always on the lookout for one.

I have a fella down the road that has one in his yard as part of a flower bed. Makes me cry when I drive past. :(

I'm using a piece of RR rail and a train coupler knuckle. They work pretty good and after a while I've gotten quite inventive as to their use.

Good luck on your anvil hunt.

Mark<><

Hey Vinny,
Welcome to IFI.

What are you using now as an anvil? I haven't let a little thing like no anvil slow me down but I am always on the lookout for one.

I have a fella down the road that has one in his yard as part of a flower bed. Makes me cry when I drive past. :(

I'm using a piece of RR rail and a train coupler knuckle. They work pretty good and after a while I've gotten quite inventive as to their use.

Good luck on your anvil hunt.

Mark<><

Thx mark. yeah i was using rail road track for awhile. but no matter how i strapped, spiked , or chained it down it hopped more then i liked. Im still building towards what people would consider a shop. forge, grizzly grinder, couple hammers some track and bar stock. and yeah i got a guy half mile from me with what looks like a 200+ lb anvil in his front yard with a flag pole welded to it. crying is the only emotion guys like us could have for something like that.

k so heres pics of that crack. the owner says he's tried wacking it pretty hard and the crack hasent increased. either way he said he'd except a lower offer. i was thinking offering 100 when i get there. and go get it this saturday or sunday. if and only if you guys think the crack isnt gonna be that big of a deal.

post-15830-0-13122400-1291938293_thumb.j

k so heres pics of that crack. the owner says he's tried wacking it pretty hard and the crack hasent increased. either way he said he'd except a lower offer. i was thinking offering 100 when i get there. and go get it this saturday or sunday. if and only if you guys think the crack isnt gonna be that big of a deal.

Heres the 2nd pic

post-15830-0-65924900-1291938613_thumb.j

That anvil will hurt you,or someone near you.
Have you heard of a man called Murphy?[he was a very wise man]
One of his quote's goes;A CHEAP TOOL WILL BREAK WHEN YOU MOST NEED IT!or some such :unsure:

yeah that was my thoughts. and if i dont buy it i still got money to look for an anvil.

yeah that was my thoughts. and if i dont buy it i still got money to look for an anvil.

Hey Vinny, It's Justin Mercier, from at Mace's hammerin. Did you get my facebook message? I've still got that anvil for sale that I didnt drag over to Mace's hammerin 2 weeks ago. No horn, but with a hot-cut hardy already matched to it, but other than that very usable and I've got it priced to move. It's been used plenty in recent years, but like i told you, my shop got downsized when i started restoring this car, and I'm dumping my extra tools =)

I've got the pictures and stuff over here on bladeforums.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796643

EDIT: I 've also got a different anvil, a bit larger around 160lbs, with a nice conical horn but no tail, from the early to mid 1700s Very cube shaped. I havent posted it for sale anywhere but it's potentially available too.

guys i found an anvil in connecticut the other night i payed less then 2$ per lb. im not sure if its good deal or not i cleaned a little. im gonna take pics tonight. so far only markings i can find is a 1 then 6 inches away a 5 i think that stands for #15 150 lbs cuz its 158 lbs.