I Forge Iron

patern welded steel

pip

i have been using sulfuric acid to reveal the pattern in Damascus steel. i was wondering if any of you had used vinegar and how well does it work. i have to drive 1 hour to get my acid. so i was wondering if any one used vinegar and how well did it work. i do not have any Damascus steel on hand to try it.

i have been using sulfuric acid to reveal the pattern in Damascus steel. i was wondering if any of you had used vinegar and how well does it work. i have to drive 1 hour to get my acid. so i was wondering if any one used vinegar and how well did it work. i do not have any Damascus steel on hand to try it.

It works just fine. Slower than strong acids, though. You can speed it up some by heating it.

Different etchants give slightly different effects. You may need to experiment a little.

Vinegar will show the contrast of different metals. In my experience though, If you want to etch deep to get a high contrast you can feel, vinegar probably won't do what you want. It takes a stronger acid. The pendant was etched with warm vinegar. The knives were etched with a 2-1 mix of hydrogen proxide and Muratic acid. Please use appropriate caution when using strong acids...

post-585-0-83244000-1291565117_thumb.jpg

post-585-0-64144500-1291565134_thumb.jpg

What etchant works best depends on what alloy you used too! What I use for a bright clear etch on my billets might be a muddy dark etch on yours.

I like hot vinegar and salt for items that I don't want topography on and use Ferric Chloride for items that do need topo. I generally weld up bandsaw blade and pallet strapping.

Note that Sulfuric Acid, H2SO4, is what is used in Car batteries and so most automotive places will have some on hand! Muratic is used to clean masonry and can often be found at building materials stores. Ferric Chloride is printed circuit board etchant at many Radio Shacks.