I Forge Iron

Looking for a Tool

KTB

I saw a tool once and I am attempting to locate one. It could be made quite easily on a lathe but I don't have one. It somewhat resembles the shape of a solid valve train lifter although just a bit larger. It was perhaps an inch or so in diameter and about 3 inches long. One end was just a bit larger than the other and both ends are slightly rounded. It was held in the center with tongs and used to dish out flats.
Any idea where I might locate one ?

A RR *bolt* (not spike!) makes a nice tool for that. I have one for my toolholder in my screwpress and others made into dishing hammers.

You can also dress a ballpeen so that the flat face is slightly dished and use it as a dishing hammer.

You might check over at an armouring site for an amazing number of suggestions on how to make dishing tools for sheetmetal work!

I received your message Thomas and I tried to reply back but received a message that you were not receiving messages. At any rate I am going to use your suggestion and I want you to know I really appreciate it.

Keith

Make your own. Get about 3 inches of something like car axle weld a rod handle in the middle. heat it up and upset both ends rounding them as you go. If you have a power hammer maybe 1 heat. Normalize, heat treat, draw and use it. I have 2 or 3 different sizes.