I Forge Iron

How does air/hyd jack work?

territorialmillworks

I'd like to use an air/hyd jack for cold forming bowls. Figured a foot pedal would be useful. But don't want to have turn the t-handle valve open and closed each stroke. Is there a work around for this so I can hold the work piece with both hands while operating with the foot switch? THX Keith

I have been playing with these jacks for a while since I make a line of table top forging presses using these jacks. The foot pedal is no problem I just use a commercially available air pedal you can get them from grainger. The only way I have figured out how to make it cycle like a hammer is to keep your foot on the pedal and open and close the valve manually it will go up and down even though you never released the pedal. Let me know if you come up with something that would be cool. They still work really well even though they dont cycle like a power hammer. I am building a 50ton today it should be sweet.

I'd like to use an air/hyd jack for cold forming bowls. Figured a foot pedal would be useful. But don't want to have turn the t-handle valve open and closed each stroke. Is there a work around for this so I can hold the work piece with both hands while operating with the foot switch? THX Keith

Yep.
It`s called an electric pump.Runs off the same stuff your compressor does so you already have it on hand.
Glad I could be of service. ;)

Would you mind putting a link to the item you mean? There are many ways something like this could be acomplished, but it mostly depends upon exactly what unit you have in mind>

I had thought about an air cylinder..possibly fab a spring loaded cam to the valve and plumb it into a foot valve so that it actuates with the ram...
Anyone know what kind of foot valve would work for this. a two-way or 4-way......Not very knowledgeable in pnuematics....THX Keith

I really was half serious when I suggested going full electric/hydraulic.
The problem you are up against is that you have two completely different systems in play here.You have the pneumatic drive system and then you have the mechanically actuated hydraulic release valve you work by hand.By the time you cobble together a workaround I think you`ll find you would have been better off if you went to Craigslist and found a used electric powerpack pump or even went down to the wrecking yard and scavenged a 12 volt electric plow pump and and plumbed that into the cylinder of your choice.
Just my $.02 and worth every penny you have invested in it so far.

I am always amazed by people who want to get by"on the cheap" and immediately reach for the HF catalog.
For me(and I`m an incredibly cheap B*****D) the answer has always been either the junk yard or the scrap yard where I can buy quality used stuff that will last for decades mostly by the pound with no shipping involved.Especially the kind of shipping involving transoceanic voyages,if you get my drift.

Bob, I completely agree with you on building it right the first time. Unfortunately, I'm painfully aware of the limitations of the town where I live when it comes to scrounging steel/used components having lived here 23 years. None of the scrap yards sell to the public and there is little industry for this type of equipment to be found on the "used" market. Might be something in Mexico but my spanish isn't good enough to go scrounging south of the border. That's why I didn't build a real press last year. Buying everything off ebay would still require a considerable investment of $$$ with the shipping....Maybe I'll rethink going to Mexico...thanke guys...Keith