I Forge Iron

what # flypress do i need?

Rob G

Sorry to have mis interpreted your post. It looked like you bent it and it cracked- I see now you seem to have resolved that problem. If so how did you do it?
Rob

I lived with it. It was a face for set of stairs going down to restaurant basement from the kitchen. Likely used too small radius for bending, as was mentioned above. It was the only time I have had trouble bending 6061. The large fab shop that did the press brake work for me has always served me well, so at first I blamed my anealing job.
The cracks were very small. I saw them, not sure if anyone else ever noticed.

Sorry about the confusion and I apreciate your kindness greatly.

how do i tell how much tonnage the popular flypresses at oldworlds anvils will generate? i need i think i need 50 tons. i have been working on a jack press that goes to 100 tons but it is way too slow. thank you

I have a p6 that I purchased from old world. I have owned it for a few years now. I did a demo with it a while back and thought it would be interesting to know what the actual tonnage the fly press produces. Knowing that I would more than likely be asked. So I emailed the factory in India and the numbers indicate the tonnage. I asked if this was implied tonnage or actual that they will produce. I was told it is actual. They have a device to read the force generated. So a p6 produces 6 tons of force. p5 produces 5 tons. According to the factory. By the way the engineer that responded to my emails was very pleasant to deal with.

I went with the 6 because I didn't want to say later on that I wish I had gotten bigger. It does take some effort but I have used it all day before doing some heavy forging. Its not too bad. I love the tool and recommend it highly.

I have had a #6 from kayne and sons for the last year, I bought the biggest one i could afford. I love it, it does anything I make the tools for it to do, It is quiet and doesn't need electricity or much of my strength. I punch and drift fairly large holes with it with the accuracy I can only do with a really good striker or by my self with smaller holes. I can bend crazy material cold. I bet it has paid for itself in gas savings and tylenol in the last year, though I haven't added it up all the way (since its not tax time quite yet)

• 3 months later...

Tonnage is a little deceptive in relation to a fly press. They have a great deal of inertia and impact. With, say, an arbor press or a hydraulic press, when they quit it does no good to back off and hit it again. With a fly press you have stored energy and hitting it again will do a little more work. It's like hand hammering, I can't generate enough "tonnage" to punch a 1" hole through 1" material, but if I keep pounding, I can make the hole. Every blow does a little more work.