I Forge Iron

off site shop vs home shop

which is better  

60 members have voted

1. 1. do you prefer a shop at home or an off site shop

• at home
    • off site

I have the shop behind the house. Advantages are, short commute, if I don't trip over the dog, security, and not having to drive home after happy hour. I have a pretty nice shop, 3 days a week or more, one of the local coal sniffers comes by with a 12 pack to see what I'm working on, or to use some equipment for something they're doing. It's nice not having to drive home after happy hour. There's also no extra expenses involved with off-site property.
Disadvantages are, If I'm awake, there's something I could be working on. The lifestyle never shuts down. Guilty feelings of missing worktime rise when I'm spending frivilous time with the family. I need to replace the back deck on the house, but the shop's right there, I could make a firescreen instead, and get paid for it. Contractors come in to get their dump truck or backhoe welded up at 9:00P.M. in the summer, they know i'll be there, and they need to be rolling again at 5:00 the next morning. I get paid good for that kind of work, maybe it's not a disadvantage. They know they better have a 12 pack bonus for after hours fab work.
I've worked in big machine shops when I was younger, the owners all had pretty nice mills and lathes in their garages, for prototype and fun work. I've realized once you're bit, the pesky rash never goes away.

I didn't hear anyone bring up the issue of zoning. I know the town I live in, would not allow a business at someones home but they will allow a hobby shop. I personly like working in the backyard but there are some restictions. I don't have room for the big tools. (power hammer, mill...ect) If you are looking at going into business for yourself I would go with the bigger shop. If your a part time smith like me out back is fine!

I had my residence rezoned to m1 industrial under a conditional use permit ( means that when I cease so does the permit )
I operate Yesteryear Forge
An outdoor forging pavilion
Yesteryear School of Blacksmithing
And host all of the Blacksmith Guild of Virginia monthly meetings there.
I have a machining and fabricating business about 3 miles from my home so I have ready access to the modern way and lots of material to work with.

Mike Tanner
http://www.yesteryearschool.com
http://www.blacksmithguildofva.com
http://www.tannertool.com