I Forge Iron

Abused Anvils As Source of Wrought Iron

The abused Hay Budden thread reminded me of something that occurred to me recently. At the right price (perhaps around $0.25 a pound), is an abused anvil worth purchasing as a source of wrought iron? If you could get 100 or 150 pounds of wrought iron for $25 or $50 or so, would it be worth while? You could conceivably cut it up with a band saw, and have a pretty considerable amount of stock.

my friend jim kieffer could fix that anvil

Aside from the fact that it sounds suspiciously like something Jeff Spicoli said in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, I'm curious to hear about this. How would he do it? Would he build up with rod and then hard-facing, or re-weld a plate on top?

The abused Hay Budden thread reminded me of something that occurred to me recently. At the right price (perhaps around $0.25 a pound), is an abused anvil worth purchasing as a source of wrought iron? If you could get 100 or 150 pounds of wrought iron for $25 or $50 or so, would it be worth while? You could conceivably cut it up with a band saw, and have a pretty considerable amount of stock.

How do ya get 100 or 150lbs of wrought from a trashed 97 lb anvil?
Ken.

Aside from the fact that it sounds suspiciously like something Jeff Spicoli said in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, I'm curious to hear about this. How would he do it? Would he build up with rod and then hard-facing, or re-weld a plate on top?

If you go back in the archives a month or two, Stewart posted pics of an anvil that Mr. Kieffer repaired by forge welding a new face onto the damaged portion.

LATER: Yeah, here it is:

Some anvil makers didn't use very good WI in their anvil bodies. (Postman warned me about William Foster anvils when I picked up one for $5...)

Wrought iron in anvil shape is not a very useful shape/size for making most things and the time and effort involved in converting it into other shapes can ruin the profit margin!

However it would be neat to slab one for blademakers who want WI fittings and so could claim that they were made from an old anvil---and they prefer the lower grades of WI as they have more "character".