I Forge Iron

reface an anvil

hi guys i got a job i have to make titanium knife. that is easy but i want to re face my anvil. have any of you done this before. what steel would be best for this? i have some 1/2 in steel it is medium carbon. I have some other thinner plate steel.

hi guys i got a job i have to make titanium knife. that is easy but i want to re face my anvil. have any of you done this before. what steel would be best for this? i have some 1/2 in steel it is medium carbon. I have some other thinner plate steel.

What sort of refacing do you have in mind? There's lots of info in the archives here about refacing anvils with hardfacing electrodes (there's an article on the web by Robb Gunter that lays out one method that people have had a lot of success with). I believe quite a few folks here have done that. But it sounds like you may be wanting to forge weld a new steel face to the anvil (which, ideally, you'd then quench and temper). That's a whole lot less common, although I wouldn't be too surprised if you find at least one person here who's done it.

By "reface" do you mean to forge weld a new face on the anvil?---like they did at Quad-State 2 years ago?

If so how large an anvil is it and how many trained people are in your crew and are you willing to live with it being a total washout with the anvil destroyed in the process?---(anyone got pictures of the "Cajun Blackened Anvil" from a refacing attempt a decade or so ago?)

This is one of those things that if you have to ask about the details you are probably a long ways away from the attempt.

sorry i could not get back to you. i was thinking of sanding the surface smooth, then putting on some welding rods, then a piece of steel. i would heat up the steel with a oxyacetylene torch. my anvil is still usable, but it is really beat up. i bought it from a farmer who pounded steel on it cold. it is a 120 lbs hey bunden anvil sorry i do not have any pics.

You still haven't answered the question of how you plan to attach your face plate and what you're trying to achieve. My first anvil came from a guy who was very proud of the piece of plate welded to the top. In my opinion it absorbed the force of the hammer blow and the torch cut edges were nasty. I had to spend a weekend prying it off and was able to do much better work on the swaybacked original top of the anvil underneath.

Why sand and weld if you're going to add a plate?

Why reface the entire anvil to make a knife when all you need is a few square inches of smooth steel?