I Forge Iron

Forging Torcs

Didn't quite know where to put this so I'll start here.

I am interested in forging/creating Torcs (neck rings) ... not those with links, but those that resemble cable. Mainly interested in how to get the semi circle to remain relatively stiff ... see this link for examples:

http://www.urweg.com/list/torcs.html

As a guess I am under the impression that one strand of the
"cable" is already thick enough to be stiff with the braided section more flexible. Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

Try looking at some of Hofi's twists, can't remember where I saw it, Most likely in his gallery pictures. There is one using angle and rounds to create the same kind of effect. just replace the round with twisted wire of chosen medium and you should come close to what is shown in the link you posted.

found the image My link
and this one My link

Good luck with your project. Can't wait to see what you produce. :)

Adam

Only that first one was braided silver, then likely drawn thru a series of holes in a board to even and tighten the weave, and stiffen it up by work hardening. Which was a period process, and is still done.

The rest were just cold twisted wire, with caps soldered or glued on. Just bigger bracelets. They are plenty stiff when twisted, and spring open to take on and off. Any good jewelry guide should show the techniques. I recommend Tim McCreight's books, but there are some others specific to Viking jewelry.

I have seen some forged bronze and iron torcs, so I know they are available. Everything except gold is going to mark your skin and clothes with sweat and use, deal with it. It is *authentic* !

Thanks for the input!! Sometimes looking at a new piece of work created by another takes me a few minutes to sort out the process. Like most of what we do, it's been done already by someone, it's just getting to a place where I can get inside their head and use what little I understand about metal to recreate what I see. And yes, most metals against skin can create some interesting smudges and marks as the metal oxidizes. I can't wear copper because my chemistry turns my skin black in short order ... just gotta deal with it. Maybe a little gold plate over some twisted steel or perhaps do one in a mixture of titanium and bronze ... ah, the possibilities. Perrin makes some interesting bracelets using twisted titanium.

Thanks for the input!! Sometimes looking at a new piece of work created by another takes me a few minutes to sort out the process. Like most of what we do, it's been done already by someone, it's just getting to a place where I can get inside their head and use what little I understand about metal to recreate what I see. And yes, most metals against skin can create some interesting smudges and marks as the metal oxidizes. I can't wear copper because my chemistry turns my skin black in short order ... just gotta deal with it. Maybe a little gold plate over some twisted steel or perhaps do one in a mixture of titanium and bronze ... ah, the possibilities. Perrin makes some interesting bracelets using twisted titanium.

Hi Tim.
If you're planning on gold plating anyway, you may as well make your torc out of copper instead of steel. From what I understand about plating, if you made it out of steel, they would have to copper plate it first anyway because the gold/silver plating process works best on copper (or copper alloys).
I look forward to seeing some of your results.

When you work with the silver, copper and bronze it work hardens and becomes springy so it tends to hold it's shape pretty well. I have forged out some silver torques and I do one last forging after the last annealing to give it a good work hardening so it has a spring to so it hold it's shape, then I do all my finish work and polish. I like to make up a whole set for women, ear rings, finger rings, bracelet and neck torque and then if they have a man in their life a neck torque for him and perhaps and arm band. Back in the early seventies some of the bikes were into torques and arm bands of iron. My finish for iron was fire blackened linseed oil, it lasted fairly well on sweaty bodies. :blink: