I Forge Iron

forge idea

joshua.M

Yes, no, maybe depending on details you have not provided---like how big/deep a brake rotor you are using---though most folks use a break drum rather than a rotor.

well its approx, 12" in diameter 4" deep, a lil small i think i got a brak drum but it seems too deep how would i make it a litle shallower to be able to get a hearth

I am thinking that if you welded the drum to the bottom, the expansion from the heat may crack your welds. I use a sheet metal/brake drum forge for demos and I just let the brake drum rest in the hole that is a bit smaller than the widest part of the drum. That way when the drum heats and expands, it just moves up a bit higher. Gravity has yet to fail me. :)

I am thinking that if you welded the drum to the bottom, the expansion from the heat may crack your welds. I use a sheet metal/brake drum forge for demos and I just let the brake drum rest in the hole that is a bit smaller than the widest part of the drum. That way when the drum heats and expands, it just moves up a bit higher. Gravity has yet to fail me. :)

ok i just need to get the plumbing stuff and i can hook it up then ill post pics

To fill in a too deep forge pot you can line it with clay mixed with ashes.

Or to use a too shallow one you can ring it with a piece of strap bent into a circle to make a "fence" to allow you to pile your fuel higher.

For my small brake drum forge I put in an 8" fence of sheetmetal bent into a "C" that would slip just inside the wall of the drum and the opening of the C was just the right size for me to get stock into the fire through the gap. I also cut a "mousehole" across from the gap to allow me to shove long pieces through. This was my main billet welding forge for several years and total cost of it was under US$25 including blower and the fanciest tool I used to make it was a 1/4" drill, (no welding!)